A new abrasive for the toolbox

For a couple of years now, I've thought of how useful an abrasive thread would be at times. I did some searching last night, and I found some! This abrasive on this stuff is labeled as "extra fine" - although it's advertised as 220 grit. Silicon carbide impregnated on a 0.018 inch (.46 mm) diameter cord. I ordered some off eBay - with shipping factored in, it was cheaper than going through the manufacturer. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how it works out.

cord_zpsf9ca755a.jpg

Great concept! I'd heard Gerald Voight talk about using cotton thread as a fine saw for removing parts and cutting plastic, but this stuff could potentially be even more effective. Please do report back!

Kev

I hadn't thought of using it as a saw, Kev. Maybe I'll experiment on some old clear parts. It's supposed to be delivered by the weekend; I'll you you posted!

• 2 weeks later...

I did some testing tonight. This product was advertised as .018 inch diameter; what I got was slightly oversized (.0206 inches).

DSCN05001_zpswfn8hjyg.jpg

I can't tell you what the cord material is, but it doesn't melt - it burns. 

I attempted to cut a spare windscreen off the sprue holding the cord in my hands. I succeeded in removing most of the abrasive.

DSCN05051_zps1yab8vyq.jpg

I cut another section (it cuts easily with cheap scissors) and tied knots at each end. I then used some old drafting dividers to make a "saw". 

DSCN05071_zpsqlnxytv9.jpg

Used this way, it cut pretty easily through the plastic. Getting this stuff into small places should be fairly simple; the stuff (when new) is relatively stiff. For polishing/sanding it will take a light touch. I'll have to play some more to really figure out if it was worth the money.

• 1 month later...