1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat - Scratch Build WIP

Jim Barry

Those look great Jim, little bit a primer and paint and they will look awesome, CAD took me a bit of time also but once you get it your on a roll, When i get my Form Lab sometime this year you will have to shoot me over that file so i can do some test printing.

I have some photos of a Bearcat if you need them? I found the disc recently, but as soon as I find out where I've put it I will load them up if you're interested.

Great to see one being done in 1/24th!

Rick. Thanks for the compliments and thanks for the offer to print. Very kind.

Ace,  Thanks.

Steve. Hope you do get to the Stearman. I use Shapeways to print my work and in the case above these all used the Frosted Ultra Detail resin option.

Radleigh. Glad you like the scale. I like it quite a bit. Distinguishing zone where few kits go but still familiar enough to most of us. I feel as long as I make something, make it rare. I'll take you up on the Bearcat ref  pics, Thanks! 

Bearcat - how great is that?  So AirCorps Library has engineering drawings of the bearcat.  i perused through just now and found the set incomplete.  But you might be interested none the less.  I use P-47 drawings extensively so far, and will continue to do so.  

Jay, thanks! I'll check it out. 

Joe, I gave up holding back! The Fury is safely moving forward. 

So, though I'm still up in the air about how much I'll 3D print, it is dawning on me that I could save a ton of time printing the base shapes instead of all the former-making, gluing, vacuforming, filling and sanding (and sanding) to get to the base core foundation. It's also yet one more thing to learn in CAD world . My first few efforts at making a fuselage were dismal and confusing. But...I'm not giving up and I think I may be getting a handle on it. Here's where I am. I put a color shade test that detects low spots.  Clearly more tuning to get it right.  

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-20%20at%208.32.0

Hi Jim,

Great project and innovative approach. I have been wondering about the quality of 3D printed parts for a while. Is the printing resolution good enough for scale models already? Or is there a lot of clean-up required? Do you have your own desktop printer or do you get them printed by a 3rd party with a pro printer?

I was thinking to design some small parts for the Fw 190 propeller in 1/32 (the parts would only be a few mm), but was not sure if the printing quality would be good enough for that purpose.

Thanks,

Roger

Thanks Roger. I think the resolution is ready, yes. You are looking at untreated results in my pictures. For the prop there will be sanding (look closely and you see some texture ).   In my view as a scratch builder that's nothing and kind or want some work to do.  I send it out to Shapeways and have them sweat it out with their big dollar printers and their "Frosted Ultra Detail" material option (what you see in my pics.) For the fuselage which is a relative monster in 3D print world at 35cm long and sq meter of surface area, I'll  go with the cheaper white flexible material ($100) or have a friend with a large printer give it a try.