F-86 F Sabre

Nic C.D.

I didn't expect so many nice reactions, thanks everyone!

So, I took some extra photos of the kit, but first a messy in progress shot, showing my tricks for the weathering; watercolours and my old wollen scarf for the extra polish at the end of the build:

720.jpg

Looks pretty bad huh? But after about an hour, this is what it turns into:

720.jpg

I also tried to photograph the canning effect on some parts of the kit, but as said earlier, it's a bit in the kit, I just emphasised it. Not so easy to photograph, but there it is. Here is the left wing:

720.jpg

And the right wing:

720.jpg

And the exhaust area :

720.jpg

I just filed the plastic after which I sanded and riveted the area again. But again; it was already a little in the kit, so this helps a lot!

Here is the wingtip of the right wing. This photo shows the advantage of painting the yellow-and black areas. This effect I wouldn't have had with the decals I think. 

720.jpg

And just one more:

720.jpg

This is my second metal finish I did and I'm thinking about building a couple more. I have a P-47, but lately am playing with the idea to do an F-105 in metal... Oh well, we'll see. This Sabre is the 28th finished 1/32 kit I have  (but 8 are Bf-109's...).

I hope you like the photos!

Nic 

Nic,

Forgive me if you already mentioned it and I missed it, but what, if any, type of sealer did you use on this finish and before/after the wash, etc.? Testors Metalizer is my absolute favorite for NMF, but probably one of the hardest to work with. You've really made it work and look effortless, but I know it couldn't have been that easy!

John

Hi John,

This was a bit of an experiment for me, but here's what I did:

1. I painted the kit completely in Testers Chrome, panels in a mix of Testers Chrome and Titanium, with just a little hint of brown.

2. After that, I did some panelling with Testers Titanium and painted the yellow and black areas with Revell Aqua Colours.

3. Then came a brushed-on layer of Johnson Clear for the decals.

4. When these were dry, I put on the wash.

5. When that was done, I polished the entire model with my scarf for over an hour. By doing this, I guess I rubbed of most of the clear and the Testers paint started to become like a mirror.

6. On the right side of the nose I also experimented a little with pastels. Well, I actually sanded some pastel of a dark metal coloured pencil and shaded the lower area. it's hard to see, but if you look at the last photo above, you might notice it.

The only bad thing is that Testers metal paints are very hard to find, I think they are discontinued.

I wasn't really sure that it would work, but the experiment turned out okay. I think she looks better than my Sabre Dog of last year, but for the next one, I think I am going to experiment a little with blue shades too. Hope this helps! 

Nic