Virginia Marie using Trumpeter P-38 Lightning

dmthamade

You're really plowing through this build Don. The work looks great too.

Carl

Don

Nice progress on the P-38 and glad you are feeling a lot better after battling with the flu

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Hello Carl!! I have to say, if it wern't for the rivet filling the build would go much quicker. I'm leaving out most engine and gunbay stuff so parts count is suprisinly low. Off tomorrow and weather looks bad, so it's time to hit the bench this weekend. Hello Peter!!! Recovered from flu enough to go to work today and will spend time this weekend at the bench.

Don

Today i've managed to finish filling/sanding the flaps,ailerons,main gear bay doors and looked into how i'll deal with the underwing light. Might be a little "fun" figuring that out....Also dryfitted stuff enough to check the stance of the build.

OwOvNd.jpg

IHxBI4.jpg

ozMRtR.jpg

Looks about right with a nose up/tail down attitude. The fact that i had to use a big Mr. Surfacer bottle to balance it tells me i see a LOT of weight in the future...

Don

I'm leaving everything out of the nose as far as guns, etc. is concerned so there is room there and in the engine areas. I have lotsa coins to use and lead weight is easy to get from work. Last time i looked , harvey,your build was killed by PB, but the feature is still there. Can read the thread anyways and can still get a sense of what you did.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slowly putting in some time on the build, i painted the 'pit and installed, and assembled the lower middle fuselage to the upper wing. Fit was OK, need to be careful to get the angled pieces in line so the gun doors would fit. The four parts that make up the nose need careful dryfitting to ensure there are no issues, doors to center spine needed careful scraping to ensure good even fit. No pics on these yet. I needed to finalize the weight requirements, so dryfitted everything and found $0.45 of good Canadian nickels ensured it will sit right. This is in addition to the weight added into the engines.

81eIbO.jpg

You can see where i also added plastic stock to the gun door openings to aid fitting the doors flush. Have finished building the doors to spine, just no pics yet. The slats/flaps needed a bit of shimming to fit, did this on all four.

tB550C.jpg

These are movable/positionable, almost all pics i've found show these up. Have to install the bushings for the Master gun barrel set, they include bushings for the machine guns, none for the cannon....odd.

Don