Really nice work Rick.

Makes me wish I hadn't flogged my kit off... :)

Matt

Thanks Matt.  Ha, this kit fought me hard and almost made the one way trip to the trash bin on several occasions.  I've let some things go as I'm tired of this build and it's time to finish it.

Very nice Rick. Sweet as...

Torben

Thanks Torben

Coming along nicely mate!!

Cheers

Alan

Cheers Alan!  almost done.  need to post updates

WHEELS

Recently Roy released his P40B/C resin wheels BR32329.  Color me happy.  The Trumpy wheels are just hideous.  I was going to use Hasegawa's P40 wheels until Barracuda saved the day.  These wheels are also perfect for Special Hobby's P36A.

Kev did a great review.   Barracuda Studios BR32329 P40B Main Wheels

Here are some comparison images.

P40_Wheels.04_1.jpg

P40_Wheels.01.jpg

P40_Wheels.02.jpg

P40_Wheels.03.jpg

P40_Wheels.08.jpg

And after a little love.

P40_Wheels.09.jpg

Plumbing and stencils added.

P40_Wheels.02_1.jpg

P40_Wheels.01_1.jpg

The windscreen handed me many challenges.  Aligning the armor glass provided plenty of angst.  Deciding on the reflector glass yielded a new drama.  At first I was going to drill into the windscreen and mount a scratchbuilt reflector.  My spider sense was tingling with all the armor framing mount molded into the windscreen.  I passed and created a reflector decal with my inkjet printer then secured to a piece of clear stryene and secured with some Future (PMFP)

Not 100% happy with results.  I might try to fit a SH P36A windscreen.  For now I'll take the FICE approach.

P40_Windscreen.02.jpg

P40_Windscreen.03.jpg

Pardon all the dust.

Edited by Rick K

Good work, Rick! Landing gear looks excellent. Where did you get that flexible hose material from?

Kev

Thanks Kev.  I picked up the Waspi Stretch Tubing at Bass Pro Shop (fishing gear supplies).  I am sure there are suppliers down under.  Of course there is always Amazon and eBay.

This tubing is used for making "fly" lures.  The micro size works best for brake lines, cockpit wiring, wheel well plumbing and ignition wires.  Comes in several colors and clear.  The colors are translucent.  Black and clear work best for me.

I use a .3mm lead wire and lube with household oil then feed the wire through the tubing.  This allows me to bend to desired shape.

Edited by Rick K

Determining how to do the prop and prop hub was a selective process.  All natural metal/silver prop?  All black prop?  I poured over many images of P40B and Pearl Harbor P40B's.  It was a mix of many.  Some props were even natural metal/silver with black backs.

Weathering the prop hub was also important.  The Pearl Harbor P40B's were rather clean with maintenance wear and dirt.  Not the weathering/wear you would see on an aircraft as a result of the cadence of war.

P40_Prop.06.jpg

Prop hub is Gunze 69 Off White and prop blades are Gunze Super Metallic 06 Chome Silver.  Weathering (round one) is done with pigments and panel line wash.

P40_Prop.07.jpg

Back of prop blades are MRP Nato Black.  A little bit of Uschi Metal Polishing Powder Chrome Type applied for wear.

P40_Prop.03.jpg

Kit prop decals are beyond unacceptable.  Either too large or weird symbols.   Prop logo decals are Füdekals and the prop stencils are courtesy of LSP member Coogrfan whose generosity is much appreciated.  The stencils are from the Airfix 1:48 P40B.  Very happy with the results.

The prop hub got some more weathering.

P40_Prop.04.jpg

A little more chrome powder on backs of the prop blades.

P40_Prop.05.jpg

All good. 

Next step is to start weathering on aircraft.

I do like the subtle way you weathered the white prop spinner.  Looks just right.

Some source say the paint on back of prop was maroon.

That was done I think the Finescale build review of the Airfix kit.

Edited by KUROK

Wow! It looks great, I think.

Can't wait for the next stage.

Juraj

Thanks Jura.  Laying down the dull coat soon, I think it will turn out ok.  :)

I do like the subtle way you weathered the white prop spinner.  Looks just right.

Some source say the paint on back of prop was maroon.

That was done I think the Finescale build review of the Airfix kit.

Thanks.  I read somewhere the aft sides of prop blades on pre-war fighters could be black, maroon or natural metal.

I applied weathering based on reference photos of Hawaiian P40's.  Lots of foot traffic on wings at wing root and gun bays.  Hopefully I'll capture the look I want.

P40_Weathering.01_1.jpg

MiG Streaking Grime applied with sponge.  Anxious to see what happens when I apply the Matte varnish.  Some Fuel/Oil stains at the filler caps add seeping through the panel line of the aft cockpit glazing.

P40_Weathering.03.jpg

Streaking grime applied with brush and feathered with soft make-up sponge.

P40_Weathering.04_1.jpg

P40_Weathering.02.jpg

Wheel well aft edges got some love with brush and sponge.

Panel line wash did not deliver the look I wanted.  I might redo.

Edited by Rick K