Trumpeter F4U-4 Corsair

dutik

Shes looking very nice Dutik! Keep up the great work my friend!  I like the blending you did  in the pit to represent wear.

Nice job :)

Paul

Thanks!

Sponge technique. Used it the first time and with some dark grey (painted some silver first using "stitching" with a stiff brush) and it worked like a charme. It is important to push the sponge onto some paper towel first, to remove surplus paint. Also tried some new washes (instead of oil paints). "Panelliner" (AK or Mig) was not the hit, but the water based "general aging" made by True Earth (Italy) worked very convincing. No pigments here. Guess there is not that much sand and earth at a flattop that makes it into the cockpit...

- dutik

Fiddling with the port console at the moment. Reduced the higth to meet the IP the proper way. Eduard offers a full PE made console, but the PE is just too flimsy. So I am keeping the basic styrene parts and sanding off most of the details to add the PE bits on top.

Regards

- dutik

Not much progress during Easter days. Mostly took care of the family. Got the port console painted and glued in place. Lost a tiny lever or two that need a replacement now. Worked at the tail wheel installation. What a fiesta of ejector marks at the tail wheel bay! Praise the Lord that the bays of Glossy sea blue aircraft were painted GSB too, which thankfully hides the marks whitout the need for putty and sanding...

- dutik

Of course this piece of hardware is no US ordnance, but a German 1.000 kg SC1000 or "Herman" bomb. This is 2.000 lb for our US friends :rolleyes:

Ordered this before MDC closed it's onlineshop. A very nice little kit and well engeneered. The body is one solid piece, so no need to hassle with pour plugs and butt joints between fron and rear ends. There is a small tubular tail extension to be added. Fins are PE and placed into ready-to-use slots at the bomb body. The fins have tabs to get the heigth correct (and the same heigth at all 4 fins). The tail ring is a flat piece of PE, annealed, bent to shape around an Edding, trimmed to lenght with scissors and superglued in place. Last step is to add a small PE cap where the fuse is located inside the body. Thats it! No butt joints, no broken resin fins, no flimsy tail rings to be sawed off large pour plugs as with other bomb kits. Really impressive and well above any other kits of this device. MDC also supplies templates to paint the yellow stripes at the rear body and the stencilling. They offered the kit as "bomb only" and as "bomb and sleigh". Highly recommended! :punk:

- dutik

This will take some days. Winter has gone, so I am occupied with family duties: to dig and plant in the garden (we shall have plenty of tomatoes this year), my mother will pay a visit, and not to forget that my kids stepped in demanding to build some own models too. So my modelling time at the weekend was filled with giving advice, providing tools and supplies and support as required. But it was worth the effort, indeed :yahoo:

Regards

- dutik

Pics or it didn't happen :yahoo:

Youngest:

octotank0003jsr2f.jpg

A bomb crater, made from Games Workshop terrain and some bits and pieces of my collection. Paintjob and overall design by my kid.

Octotank on treasure hunt (wip) by the oldest:

octotank0004vqp6e.jpg

All paintjob by the kid (applying decals too!). I had to superglue the arms and tailplanes of the subtankwhatsoever thingee kit and provided assistence for making the wreck part from strip styrene. The red things are corals :coolio:

Was a wonderful afternoon with the bunch together at the working desk :punk:

Enjoy!

- dutik

Edited by dutik

• 3 weeks later...