Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Thank you, Kevin F.

Thank you, Kevin W.

Thank you, Gaz.

Thank you, Rick.  There is a lot going on.  Which, I think, should be what a real aircraft exhibits.  But I don't know.  Period photos aren't usually that detailed.

Fading, peeling, chipping, wear.  I wanted to try to illustrate just how complicated the Sinai Desert made these aircraft that were painted with commercial paints.  I didn't realize the learning curve I needed to go thru to do so.  Now that the curve has been completed maybe a second time around won't be as onerous.

Now that my Summer Honey-Do list is complete I'll have more free time.  I'll drop you a PM.  Thank you.

Chuck!  Thank you.  It is different, that's for sure. Even after all of this time in the paint booth it's still odd to see a Mustang that's not bare metal or OD.  Let alone Blue and Tan.  Sounds like an alcoholic beverage.  I had to decide whether or not I wanted what I have shown here to be completed before I turned my attention to the engine or leave what I've done here unfinished before I turned my attention to the engine.  I decided to spend as much time on this as necessary to get it done and behind me so I could focus solely on the engine compartment.

I had painted the engine and did not like the outcome so I soaked it in Windex and scrubbed it down, losing much of the details in the process.  Which is OK, I'm not lamenting that.  I've taken it somewhat apart to begin again.  I've got to see what I can see because right now I think I may want to glue the engine front into the frame first and build the detail around the engine while in the frame, similar to a ship in a bottle.  But I haven't really studied the problem, I'll see.  No, no new version.  Just a repeat 'performance'.  Hopefully a successful one.

Thank you, Torben.

Thank you, Kagamusha.  It's been a long time coming.  I'll be glad to get this one behind me.  There were a lot of moving parts to this one.  This was a big effort.

Thank you everyone for your interest, comments, and support.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Well, the model passed the Wife Test, for now.  She came downstairs into the basement to chat while I was yet toiling away again repairing another broken part when she blurted out 'That looks beautiful!'  Wive's, they're so smart.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Except for the seat belt, of which I lost a part, and I'm now awaiting a replacement, the back half is done.

DSCN6275_zpsnuytdhnb.jpg

Canopy, antenna wire tie-in.  Barely noticeable because of reflection, but it is there.  That location which the wire passes through the canopy is painted aluminum.  It's a metal piece with a roller inside which is screwed onto the canopy.  The (black invisible thread) wire is not straight, and with the canopy open the canopies' demarcation line doesn't align with the fuselage.  I'm dogged at every turn.  I guess the hole thru the canopy is the wrong angle or too low, or both.  I was satisfied with how I finished the canopy so I masked it off when I stripped the model the last time.  I just forgot where the line was.  Imagine my surprise when I stripped the tape off and saw it was misaligned.  I said the hell with it, replacement canopy.

DSCN6276_zpsgrbcvyrd.jpg

Repaired replacement antenna.  At least it doesn't look like Brian Baldinger's little finger.

DSCN6277_zpst8nk0umk.jpg

Antenna wire tie-in at vertical stab.

DSCN6285_zps4fknznfn.jpg

Dipped the lights in Future, let them dry, then globbed Tamiya Clears on them.  Added a drop of Future to finish them off.  Replacement formation light.  Added the rockets.  Ignition wires, too.

DSCN6282_zpsuqnps1n1.jpg

Other side.

074ba94fa397a0da813981c003072e6f--belly-

67a4ffe11cd85e3bae4d8b4640fe20b0--artist

I saw a Revell Bunnie.

b2accd132aca73ada96b39c2e8c77d7e--pony-m

These are the two images I used as reference and tried to emulate.

DSCN6283_zpsbqlpzvby.jpg

I lightly drew the lines with a pencil then traced the line with Black Oil paint then with Sienna, I think it was.  The same color as the top, whatever it was.  Wood roller on light.

DSCN6284_zpsmjhvgngw.jpg

Painted seepage along the wheel well ridges and along the inner door face.

DSCN6286_zpseyk5gjab.jpg

Painting the oil seepage made me nervous so I did it lightly.

DSCN6287_zpszm3vus9l.jpg

The small tail drag guard, I guess it is, toward the rudder, was painted aluminum.

I've spent so much time detailing this finish I'm woefully behind on my Honey-Do list, so unfortunately the engine will have to wait for the time being.

Thank you one and all for your interest and support on this seemingly never ending project.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Martin.  I still have my fingers crossed that I'll be able to make whatever corrections I need to make to keep this build presentable.

I've been working on miscellaneous details . . .

DSCN6301_zps1e1m5wwa.jpg

New antenna spring corrected the earlier antenna wire problem.  I see it needs painting.  I thought I had already done that.

DSCN6303_zpsqf8hzcg6.jpg

Seat belts from cut Tamiya tape.  I forget who made the buckles.  I cut the tape to width, threaded the buckle, then folded over the tape adhesive side to adhesive side.  To inhibit the adhesive on the remainder of the strip I painted over it with a flat coat.  This made the tape workable without adhering to everything.

DSCN6302_zpshzazmgc6.jpg

Shoulders.

DSCN6296_zpslao6kqhi.jpg

. . . And the engine.  Primer then Flat Black.

DSCN6298_zpsm2ofg9t4.jpg

Then Lacquer Gloss Coat.

DSCN6299_zpsnyh1yfmb.jpg

Detail painted with Aluminum then Lacquer Gloss Coated a second time.

DSCN6300_zps9mmn7wgb.jpg

Then dry brushed with Aluminum  then Steel.

Thank you for looking, liking, and commenting.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much, Brothers.  I really appreciate you looking in and leaving such wonderful comments.

Well, I received a hate e-mail from Photobucket so I don't know how much longer these images will be available.  Not being picture hosting web site savvy I haven't had luck posting an image thru either ImageShack or Post Image.  All I get in response is an URL link, no image.  Not to sound presumptuous, but if there is anything one is interested in saving I suppose one best do it soon.

Anyway, creeping along . . .

DSCN6304_zpsdj7fatvx.jpg

Pin washed with Ivory Black oil paint to represent old oil seepage and accumulated dirt, throughout

DSCN6305_zpsxr4kyg33.jpg

Then pin washed with Burnt Umber to represent newer oil seepage, throughout.

DSCN6306_zps4gvamsl5.jpg

I wonder why the links and such don't appear 'silver'?  Must be reflecting the black.

DSCN6307_zpshlahpyem.jpg

Other side.

DSCN6308_zpspky8hrcu.jpg

Bottoms up.  I put a little more gunk on the bottom figuring that with gravity it would seep downward.  But who knows?

DSCN6309_zpsijyrexvt.jpg

Same here.

DSCN6310_zpsptz0tz5y.jpg

Electrical wire shrink tube.  To get the shrink tube to match the various diameters of the solder and rods I've been using I have put the tube on a matched diameter metal rod and GENTLY heated it with a lit match.  I had to put saliva on the metal tube to act as a lubricant so the tube could slide off.  Otherwise the tube stuck to the rod.

DSCN6283_zpsbqlpzvby.jpg

Old picture.  You can see here at the front the upper section of the carburetor intake.  Painted green and aluminum, for some reason.

DSCN6311_zpsb2kiat0w.jpg

Well, for some other reason I decided to remove it and glued everything together to make a single assembly.  I think I did it because at the time I was going to do pipe-work tie-in.  But the assembly has turned out to become vital to engine alignment.  At the side air intake I attached some .010 x .010 strip and painted it black, to represent a neoprene seal.  Something I missed earlier.

DSCN6312_zpsq2kembr7.jpg

More Ivory Black and Burnt Umber.

DSCN6313_zpsfsfmzgyd.jpg

Other side.

DSCN6314_zpshrwsixhl.jpg

Just showing some of the inside weathering.

DSCN6315_zpssig4kuad.jpg

Other side.  Same here.

DSCN6316_zpswrmbs2tb.jpg

Some coolant, I think this reservoir is for coolant, spillage.

More below.

Edited by dodgem37