Jerry Rutman's D-13

Guest Martinnfb

I check the supercharger intake that is so different from D9, ta-152 or even yellow 10 survival representation. Knowing that the intake on 836017 is not original I used JC yellow 10 book as a reference and realized that something went horribly wrong... the angle from frontal point of view in almost 90% towards the ground. The intake is rather flat, slanted at the back and the connection with fuselage is extremely smoothly riveted to the cowling from the exhaust flare up to the gun cover.

Hmm it's time for epoxy and some fun.

Martin

d13intake001.jpg

d13intake.jpg

I am not understanding your point. Are you saying that the current restoration of Yellow 10 has the wrong scoop? If the current restoration has the correct scoop,then I think that you made your scoop so that it has too much space between the opening and the fuselage. Also the opening follows the curve of the cowl. Have you consulted the photos of the original aircraft during it's surrender?

J

Jerry , thanks for the comment.

and yes, That is exactly my point. I was studying yellow 10 for hours, took hundreds of pictures. The current restoration does not look right to me. See pages 19-23 in Yellow 10 book. plus on the page 34 is clear picture of whatever is left after the scoop that has been chopped off. Jerry , there is nothing wrong with your resin scoop, but there is definitely something wrong with the one currently installed on the yellow 10.And you are right,I do have too much space between the fuselage and the opening , but I'm not done yet. I am going to make one more cut laterally in order to achieved the desired angle. Last night I had to pile up a bunch of putty on it so I will have the material to play with.

Thanks again and please let me know what you think.

Thanks again

Martin

I would love to talk to Jerry Crandall about this, since it is his baby :)

Martin, just the fact that you are so dedicated to researching the shape of the intake leads me to believe you're going to build a 100% accurate model, and that you might also be able to build a fully operational D-13 as well.

Extraordinary work,

Tudor

Thanks guys.

Tudor, it is going to be 100% operational ones I loose my nerve and the window is gonna be open , by accident. ;)

Michael, I will try o do my best, with the kind help of all of you guys.

Edited by Martinnfb

So, after 25 years of sniffing a oil based paint and thinner I said enough. And decided to switch into the acrylics .I was not easy move since there are dozens of Testors sitting in my drawer.

The small mixing improvement in the shape of glass marble looked like a good idea and that is exactly the point when the paint becomes a pain :)

paint001.jpg

paint002.jpg

paint003.jpg

Edited by Martinnfb

.A little bit of a work on the prop. The Cartograf decal failed me miserably again so the spiral had to be done by hand. Painful , but better than decal, I hope.

After spiraling into oblivion and about two hours of swear words that are hard to pronounce, I was satisfied. No that is a lie, I wasn't, I just do not have the mental strength to redo it again. :BANGHEAD2:

So Number 18/0 brush help to oil it up. Of course Yellow 10 book is always present , basically essential for this build.

prop001.jpg

prop003.jpg

prop004.jpg

prop006.jpg

prop008.jpg

prop009.jpg

Edited by Martinnfb