Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

Wow Peter, you are doing some crazy work. Now, I can see the man's talent behind those cool cockpit decals. Also, thank you for sharing the tip on your brass sheet detail work. BTW, one small request, will it be to much to ask for tad bit larger photographs of your updates? If that is ok with you. TIA

Mike

You are all too kind

Thanks for your comments and encouragement, I can see now why a build log and a GB are so enjoyable – just wish I had given it a go years ago and maybe wouldn’t have stopped for so long

I am having great fun and at the moment anyway things are going well I think. It’s strange having not worked on a kit part all week, it’s actually set me wondering if I one day I might try scratchbuilding literally from ‘scratch’ – a 1/32 Tigercat, is one I have always wanted and with no kit in sight (yet) would be ultra cool

Anyway, back to reality and the Fury. Have been getting the side consoles in shape – still more levers and switches to add but starting to look a bit more busy now. Getting ready for the instrument panel but I am waiting for my prototype airscale bezel samples to arrive from the etch bods (oops hope I don’t get disqualified! :coolio: ) – I love doing IP’s...

Excuse the big blobs of white tack and everything not quite being true and square as it’s just dry fit for now - have made the pics a bit larger too (scary, I can see loads of corrections...)

WIP16.jpg

WIP18.jpg

WIP17.jpg

until next time

Peter

You are all too kind

Thanks for your comments and encouragement, I can see now why a build log and a GB are so enjoyable – just wish I had given it a go years ago and maybe wouldn’t have stopped for so long

Quite.............doing some AMAZING work here Peter. It is true from personal experience, that WIPs and GBs here at LSP are quite special.......and mostly all due the wonderful modelers and overall wonderful human beings we have here.

It’s strange having not worked on a kit part all week, it’s actually set me wondering if I one day I might try scratchbuilding literally from ‘scratch’ – a 1/32 Tigercat, is one I have always wanted and with no kit in sight (yet) would be ultra cool

OIY! Again..........................my ALL TIME favorite aircraft!

If you DO, you better make me a master, so I can have the Boss Man!

180-a-1280.jpg

I swear, its the only airframe I KNOW Id by multiple, multiples of................... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Been working from home this week (normally in the city) so have had a chance to crack on in between conference calls / emails...

I realised in my last post i hadn't touched the kit, so set about it with lots of sharp objects.....

I intend to show the engine panels open, and having removed the exhaust panels already as they are so crude and mis-shapen I cut away the inspection panels on one side with a razor saw & dremel

I now have a big void staring at me which needs a bit of planning on how best to fill it - I want to make a cylinder head master and cast copies in resin - has anyone got any tips or are there any past threads on doing it?

Made initial vertical cuts with an x-acto razor saw - left plenty of spare plastic to finish down to the correct panel line - the covers themselves will be re-made

WIP19.jpg

Made the horizontal cuts with a fine tooth circular saw in a Dremel at the lowest speed setting

WIP20.jpg

WIP21.jpg

Deliberately left the nose cowl ring to preserve the structural integrity of the fuselage

WIP22.jpg

Voila! a big hole to tuck a Centaurus into....

WIP23.jpg

TTFN

Peter

Hi Peter,what an amazing cockpit you've done already! Are you sure there are corrections needed? Looks incredible to me.

How do so many of you on this site build 1) so quickly and 2) with such an eye to detail??!!!

Maybe in a few years, i'll be able to come close.

I almost went with a Seafury too (I have the Fisher one) but decided on the X-15. Still great to see so many of them being built.

Carl

Thanks Carl

Kind words indeed, I guess I am going faster than some simply because this is my first build in 2 years and I think the repressed inner me has burst out with an insane level of enthusiasm :frantic:

As for detail, just get good references and build what you see - each part is a set of shapes and a like a mini-kit in itself

Thought I would add a last post for the day simply because to get around the whopping hole I made in the fuselage for the engine I needed a plan. A cunning plan came as if from the professor of cunning at cunning university - I can build the engine around a central core that slots neatly into a recess in the kit nose where the prop boss is...

In the real aircraft there is no firewall until the cockpit as the engine is mounted on a framework of rods so doing it this way should support everything and keep it central

here's what I mean...

WIP26.jpg

WIP27.jpg

WIP24.jpg

WIP25.jpg

Here is the core dry fitted - all I need now are 9 cylinders - I need that professor of cunning again...

until next time

Peter

evening all, and thanks Grant & Thomas..kind words indeed

I see some fantastic builds coming along in this GB and more importantly everyone enjoying themselves - it's a pleasure to take part

I have been fiddling about with more tiny bits and am beginning to wonder if the real world is just a giant scale version there to make me feel clumsy :mental: (Doc, where's my pills)

Got a bit further, and got some casting stuff on order so definately stepping out of the comfort zone on this one.. hope it goes well as I have a few ideas how I might add to airscale's ranges with resin cockpit bits if I can make it work on the Sea Fury

anyways, on to todays update..

WIP37.jpg

WIP38.jpg

WIP39.jpg

WIP40.jpg

WIP41.jpg

WIP42.jpg

WIP43.jpg

until next time..

Peter