Barry

Is it not great that we all have nothing better to do than this, Man I Love this hobby!

whoah mate....just hold it, don't go that way :lol: , we've seen this with many a subject in the recent and late past, not to mention the "mustang" subject, so indeed it's a fantastic hobby to have our "expertise" insights spread all over the plastic thingies.......

Have fun, cheers

jack

Go Barry, Go Barry........ First F-8 build that I've seen. I am watching this one. I don't know much about F-8's. I tend to stick to more modern subjects. If I build an F-8 it will probably be a French F-8P, which looks to me to have the said bulges.....

http://frenchnavy.free.fr/aircraft/crusade...image-00001.jpg

http://frenchnavy.free.fr/aircraft/crusade...image-00135.jpg

Here's hoping Trumpeter comes out with a RF-8....... ooooo, wouldn't that be nice!

Crash

BTW F-8P Walkaround in all its glory for those interested :lol:

http://frenchnavy.free.fr/aircraft/crusader/walk-around.htm

Closer shot.

Guys,

In the second close up photo.

Take a look at the access panel just aft and below of the vents.

Look at the forward vertical edge of this panel. Is it not obviously curved from bottom to top?

I am glad you guys sent me to Airliners.Net looking. I am now convinced the fairing of the panels is correct.

Now does anyone know when the AIMS Altimeter system was incorporated into the F-8.

You will see second Pitot/Static Probe located aft of original Pitot Probe. This probe contained both Pitot and Static sensor capibility.

This was a requirement of the AIMS Encoded Altimeter system.

I know that the USAF A-7s did not receive this modification until after 1972/73.

Thanks,

Barry

Go Barry, Go Barry........ First F-8 build that I've seen. I am watching this one. I don't know much about F-8's. I tend to stick to more modern subjects. If I build an F-8 it will probably be a French F-8P, which looks to me to have the said bulges.....

http://frenchnavy.free.fr/aircraft/crusade...image-00001.jpg

http://frenchnavy.free.fr/aircraft/crusade...image-00135.jpg

Here's hoping Trumpeter comes out with a RF-8....... ooooo, wouldn't that be nice!

Crash

BTW F-8P Walkaround in all its glory for those interested :lol:

http://frenchnavy.free.fr/aircraft/crusader/walk-around.htm

Crash,

Your photos are further conformation. The close up of the L/H side is great.

The F-8P incorporated all of the E refinements plus the double droop leading edges.

No doubt at all now that the fairing of the raised panels on the kit is the correct answer. At least in my mind.

I believe Trumpeter has ealier versions at least planned and the raised panels would make it very easy to eliminate them.

If they had created the fairing then it wouyld have required a larger change to their molds. My thoughts only no proof to back it up.

Just between all of us I do not know that much about the F-8 either. I do know that it is/was a sleek pure fighter.

I'm an Phantom Phanatic and I am getting my skills tuned up for my first 1/32 F-4 build.

Barry

Well Barry,though not being a Crusader expert,it does make you the first one who apparently got it right on the "bulge"subject.

I must say you indeed did a great job on correcting this not so obvious detail on the nose.

So, now let's see one of those great gunfighter models out into the open, shall we?

J :lol:

Well Barry,though not being a Crusader expert,it does make you the first one who apparently got it right on the "bulge"subject.

I must say you indeed did a great job on correcting this not so obvious detail on the nose.

So, now let's see one of those great gunfighter models out into the open, shall we?

J ;)

Thanks Jack,

I will do my best but I am not a prolific builder. I only wish to produce the most accurate recreation I can.

I will sacrifice schedule for quality anytime. That is why my A-7 has taken nearly 3 years now.

Next effort will be the afterburner and getting what will be visible in the cockpit area up to par.

Still not commeted to the refueling probe and speed brake. :lol:

Will be in touch,

Barry

Those close-ups do indeed clarify that fairing of the radome. I confess I wasn't all that sure about it when you mentioned it previously, but those pics put the proof to it. Your fix looks spot on!

Very good catch ........ Looks like it does have it. So let me see..... I have to file the nose down to make an H. When I get a chane I will shoot a few pics of mine it is about 75%(primed) do I leave it out of the box or turn it into an H?

S!

Very good catch ........ Looks like it does have it. So let me see..... I have to file the nose down to make an H. When I get a chane I will shoot a few pics of mine it is about 75%(primed) do I leave it out of the box or turn it into an H?

S!

Up to you, mate! I'll probably leave the raised panels whenever I get around to mine. It is rather pronounced now that I see these pics, just doesn't bother me overly much. Love to see the pics of yours, though!

Main structures taped up. Gear doors, gun bays, IFR door fitted.

As I am going to display inflight and have desided to go with copper tubing or acrylic rod up the tail pipe.

I am going to have to engineer internal structure to support the weight.

I am going with the kit cockpit to help reduce the weight it should paint up into reasonable rendition but I will be using AMS's resin seat when it become available. Aslo by eliminating all the wheel wells, landing gear and gun bays internal details this will get me a reasonable weight to work with.

I am hoping that Master Details (Steve said he was) will bring out a Naval Aviator for the Vietnam period for the pilot figure.

So here's the photo of the initial mockup. Photo was prior to nose fairing addition.

post-4217-1228568021.jpg

I've started adding the structural stiffeners to the burner petals.

I desided even thou this will be an inflight build that the burner would need some added details.

The details is styrene strip .010x.010 and .010x.020. The four on the left have been sanded to shape.

Nice photos of both earlier and later style burner petals in Squadron's F-8 Walk Around #38, pg 45.

If your build requires the earlier style and want a more detailed burner you might consider the F-102 style burner from Master Details.

Back to the bench,

Barry

post-4217-1228650694.jpg