• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

Again, ignore the photo Gary used on the box - it's an inert teaining round painted up to look like a live missile.

All the dorsal views I've seen of live missiles show the black line running down its length. Never underneath.

Tony
  • harvey likes this
Finally spraying again

#17 ziggyfoos

ziggyfoos

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:13 PM

Tony, how can I tell what version is which if there are six panels? Although shown in the illustration as having different striping and decals foe each version, could they be the same appearance among all the six panel various versions? Like I mentioned, the one I shown of the panel detail has the stripes as the one labeled as a C-2 in the instructions (no yellow stripe #23 on the body or stripes #25 on the fin, and it has the green stripe with "WP SMOKE" (#29). Other than the six panels, it looks identical to the missile marked as C-2. There's another pic I have showing one that does have the same appearance of the B-1 marked one, except it looks like only a yellow stripe (no green) ahead of RP SMOKE (#28) (and the nose is off white). I assume the different versions can be used at the same load? Another pic looks like only one of four installed has the yellow stripe #23 but the other three do not (and the yellow sripe one has a blackish nose while the other three have that dark brown/wine radomes). Confused!

#18 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:18 PM

Read the instructions fully. I based the stuff on lots of photos and pages of NAVAIR drawings.

The yellow bands on FIN TWO ONLY is associated with the RP smoke unit. WP does not use the fin two detonators.

All kinds of anomalies occur when people start looking at those STD ARM exhibits at Dayton - ignore them !

As stated in the instructions, some missiles used an off-white cream ceramic radome associated with I-Band. Depended on the seeker, which could be changed on earlier versions. The dark red-brown ones were plastic or crystal radomes and colours varied a little.

The four DUMMY fuze array models - the later versions with just four metallic grey panels - relied on the DSU-10 active optical laser fuze (a bit like the one used on later HARM missiles). This thing looks like binoculars under the nose, and is provided as a clear part. It was mostly aluminium coloured. Look carefully at the pics I posted.

The earlier SIX fuze panel array models had a small rectangular panel under the nose which may have been in anticipation of the active fuze but was smaller and just a blanking plate AFAIK. Of the six fuze panels, usually four were just dummy metallic plates and TWO passive proximity seekers (same type as used on Shrike, the designation of which I can't remember right now).
It appears some early models may have featured four proximity fuzes and two metallic blanks.

Following the instructions will give you an accurate STD ARM.

HTH

Tony

edited

Edited by Tony T, 04 September 2016 - 11:34 PM.

• harvey likes this
Finally spraying again

#19 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:00 PM

Great discussion guys!   Tony, A very, Very heart felt thank you for helping out here!   Guys,  He is one of the foremost experts int he world on this missile, not to mention wild Weasels and the SEAD mission.    He, along with Mick Roth and Don Logan were critical in developing this accurate missile kit.    I would trust the directions Tony assembled unless you have specific evidence to the contrary, and one thing I learned doing historical research that there are many anomalies in the filed that simply cannot be covered 100%.  Even of we, could it would be cost ineffective to cover all of these one off creations in the kit even if the research could be done.   Tony  is absolutely correct in that many of the Museum displays as they are not accurate with respect to the the fielded subject that you are building.  I find this out constantly as we research topics for new products so I would follow the directions he assembled for our kit.

One thing I will add to this discussion that has not been mentioned, is that this missile was originally a surface to Air and Anti Ship Missile for the Navy, and was adapted to the Air-Surface use after less than acceptable early results of the Shrike.  Check out these Links

https://en.wikipedia..._Extended_Range

https://en.wikipedia...RIM-66_Standard

Have a great day!

• harvey likes this

Many Thanks, Gary

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” John 1:1-4

d2b207a4-fc22-4f15-bb7e-67e423125a3e_zps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users