North American BC-1 Trainer (Harvard Mk1) 1/48 Vacform - Sierra Scale

SirBlueHenry

Having looked at more reference I can only say that from what I see, the ailerons did not change from BC-1 to later types, but I could see how someone could get this wrong ... many top views show half the aircraft underside and half the aircraft upper side. The visible part of the aileron is different in upper and lower views and if someone referenced the wrong side they would end up with a much wider aileron, but the length should still be the same, and its not on this vacform. I am going forward with the assumption that the vacform is wrong and will replace the ailerons.

However a further issue has arisen - which is possible more serious. It looks like the entire planform of the wing is wrong on the vacform in that the TE of the wings outer sections has been made parallel to the centre section TE. And I cannot see any evidence that any version of the Harvard ever had this - the TE was always slightly tilted forward. the vacform kit then leaves me with an incorrect wing. More challenge to fix

Now Im really mixed up. if you look at the photo in the previously posted comment - the trailing edges of the wings are clearly in a straight line on this one, but not in the books. And then last night I went and sliced off the wings. Aaaargh! Did BC-1's have 2 variations??

Guest Jessie_C

Dihedral wings often appear to be swept forward in photos; it's a kind of visual distortion. Trust that shot straight down the trailing edge to be accurate. In the end it's your model, and getting it to look 'right' to you is most important :)

Ok - the wings are in fact such that the TE is a straight line. So Ive just created more trouble by having cut off the outer section upper surfaces - will have to see what I do about this. Im not in a hurry on this anyhow - will just gradually do a bit at a time.

• 8 months later...

Had a look at it last night and decided that I need to make a new centre section upper surface - and I will use metal for this and try out my new rivet tools (wheel) to try and make a really well detailed Centre section. This will then also make it a lot easier to mount the fuselage on. So I need to make a pattern, make a trial surface and make the plastic surface underneath the metal one for it to glue onto. So I will also need formers and spars. Lower surface will also need some strengthening now since everything will be built on it.

Might even be wise then at this point to glue the wing halves together (outer sections) and get LE and TE strengthening in place

I forgot that I still had a lot of sanding/filing to do, so thats what i did, and its not easy at all because the thin wing surface is so flexible, but I'm getting there. Both upper surfaces outer panels are done, now busy on the single piece lower surface.

Then I need to carefully cut out the wheel and door shapes

More filing, more filing, more filing

lower surface getting closer but still more to do

Started on cutting out wheel recesses.

I had a look at how far I had got on the fuselage halves - the joint line is good, but cockpit surround and such like still needs more trimming and sanding.

Vacforms make you work hard for any kind of result

More filing and finally finished the wing upper and lower surface. What a job.

Started looking for wing spars from my collection of round and trapezium section sprue.

Did the cutouts on the rudder for hinges.