1/18 Fairey Firefly VX376

airscale

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks :)

So, back at the bench after the tumultuous week that was Telford :)

Thanks again to everyone for saying hello & offering congrats - I still can't believe I won best in show :)

Simply brilliant Peter! Raising the bar as always.  :beer:

Any chance we could get you to do up a tutorial on how to draw artwork for custom PE sometime?

Well Chuck, there will be a section on this in the forthcoming book Kev & KLP publishing are putting together on the build of Race #80, along with a number of other surprises and useful things, so look out for that :)

Moving on, I had a waver at the show thinking maybe the Firefly was maybe too ambitious and talking to Mirek from HpH I was thinking maybe do another of their kits instead as I like the polished metal effect and that scheme simply does noit exist on a Firefly - that soon passed, and pleased to say I am now back focussed and cracking on :)

..first up, I decided to get to an airfame so I can wallow in the detail further down the line - I learned on my Spit that doing things out of order is tricky as I spent a long time protecting work I had already done, so in this case I want wings...

..started with the root aerofoil section in brass to act as a template - just scaled it and stuck it to some sheet,...

WIP96_zpsmfpmrlqw.jpg

..cut them out with a slitting disc and put both together to get a consistent shape - always work in pairs when doing this sort of thing...

WIP97_zps59qbriff.jpg

..then made a paper template to find the right position to sit accross the spars - I got this wrong and it needed some reworking after - I use scaled photo's & plans to make sure the position & incidence is right..

WIP98_zpslbndw8av.jpg

..also soldered in the plates that will support the main gear - this was done as you see it so the position of the slide in wing spars is perfect..

WIP99_zpsql2ocxg5.jpg

..then traced two wing blanks onto 3mm plastic card - again as a pair - I ended up cutting off the radiator sections afterwards..

WIP100_zpso42jitoh.jpg

..these were then carefully positioned & marked out on the plan so I could let them into the wing spars.. - also cut away the trailing edge at the flap so I could insert brass sheet for a nice sharp trailing edge..

WIP102_zps3jl4sclo.jpg

..soon had two slide on wings :)

WIP101_zpsxhvvwq7m.jpg

..added aerofoil sections - seen with the black outline...

WIP103_zpssg1vqam1.jpg

WIP104_zpsajl3swei.jpg

WIP105_zpsxlu9gc5e.jpg

..and these now are a good tight fit and sit well against the plan..

WIP106_zpsaymeayp1.jpg

..next I will sheath in balsa before adding wood hardener and shaping down to the aerofoil sections..

back soon

TTFN

Peter

Well Chuck, there will be a section on this in the forthcoming book Kev & KLP publishing are putting together on the build of Race #80, along with a number of other surprises and useful things, so look out for

Peter

FANTASTIC!

Looking forward to the book and any further updates. Congrats on the best of show,

Chuck.

• 1 month later...