4 July 1989, Russian MIG 23MF Flogger-B crash in Belgium.

Guest DannyVM

Guest Airfixer

Exactly.

Compared to its later ML/MLD descendants, the M/MF variant is a helluva tail-sitter. The red star itself was horizontally applied. Among other features, the ML and later variants had a redesigned and significantly lighter rear fuselage. Accordingly, the ML/P/MLD's overall tailsitting tendency was less heavily pronounced.

sECalQO.jpg

MF walkaround including some nice shots of the cockpit:

http://walkaround.rajce.idnes.cz/MiG-23MF_Flogger/

Externally, the Soviet "M" variant is largely identical to the "MF", except for a small detail - the Soviet "M" features the simple rudder hinge without rudder dampers. In contrast, the Trumpeter kit, depicting an "MF", has them - parts R3 and R8.

Depending on how particular you are about such details, you may want to omit those dampers and fill the remaining gaps (parts R1/R7 and R9/R11) with strip styrene. Quite an easy fix, only requiring some minor filling and sanding.

Edited by Airfixer

I found information about this in WIP theme on scalemodels. They say, that on MiG-23M and MiG-23UB the star was with angle (usually). It explained by different parking angle of MiG-23M and MiG-23MLD. The parking angle of MiG-23M was bigger.

Best regards,

Ilya

Ok, that makes sense indeed. Thank's Ilya for the feedback. :speak_cool:

Exactly.

Compared to its later ML/MLD descendants, the M/MF variant is a helluva tail-sitter. The red star itself was horizontally applied. Among other features, the ML and later variants had a redesigned and significantly lighter rear fuselage. Accordingly, the ML/P/MLD's overall tailsitting tendency was less heavily pronounced.

sECalQO.jpg

Thank's Erik, but still, if i look at the bottom profile, which is in my opinion the MIG 23M variant, the star is still in line with the bottom of the rudder. 

In case of the crashed MIG 23, it is way out of center??

bPNU6xSh.jpg

Externally, the Soviet "M" variant is largely identical to the "MF", except for a small detail - the Soviet "M" features the simple rudder hinge without rudder dampers. In contrast, the Trumpeter kit, depicting an "MF", has them - parts R3 and R8.

Depending on how particular you are about such details, you may want to omit those dampers and fill the remaining gaps (parts R1/R7 and R9/R11) with strip styrene. Quite an easy fix, only requiring some minor filling and sanding.

Thank's Erik for this advice, i will it close to me when i start the kit. :speak_cool:

Greetz

Danny

Guest Airfixer

Thank's Erik, but still, if i look at the bottom profile, which is in my opinion the MIG 23M variant, the star is still in line with the bottom of the rudder. 

In case of the crashed MIG 23, it is way out of center??

[...]

Just an attempt to explain the "logic" behind the seemingly oblique red star.

Sizes, positions and some aircraft painter's individual perception of "horizontal" could vary, though...

zGqAWmG.jpg

i_129.jpg

http://www.16va.be/page_mig-23m_zapad81.html

Edited by Airfixer

Nic project Danny !

I remember we already talked about that unmanned MiG-23 crash a few years ago.

I'll follow your build with interest !

Member Florin sold one to me for 7€ plus shipping

Is Florin selling his correction, or was it just a little friendly help?

I'd be interested in buying several of corrected nose. At first i thought i'd make the correction myself (i own a Mig-29M, with the correct nose for the MiG-23), but if i can get some ready to build, i'm interested !

nice to see another flogger! do yourself a favour and get Florins nose correction.

Thank's for the info, but what's wrong with the kit's nose??

Nic project Danny !

I remember we already talked about that unmanned MiG-23 crash a few years ago.

I'll follow your build with interest !

Yes indeed we did. Thank's for hopping in. :speak_cool:

Is Florin selling his correction, or was it just a little friendly help?

I'd be interested in buying several of corrected nose. At first i thought i'd make the correction myself (i own a Mig-29M, with the correct nose for the MiG-23), but if i can get some ready to build, i'm interested !

That's my thought also, please give us more info regarding the nose correction??

His friend casts them, also some wheels. he sounded like he would sell more, just send him a PM, thats what i did

Do you have his contact info??

Greetz

Danny

Thank's for the info, but what's wrong with the kit's nose??

Yes indeed we did. Thank's for hopping in. :speak_cool:

That's my thought also, please give us more info regarding the nose correction??

Do you have his contact info??

Greetz

Danny

It should answer to your question :

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=51107&page=2