ProModeler 1/48 Fw 190D-11

LSP_Kevin

So, finally something interesting to look at! The underside is now fully painted:

file-11.jpg

I wasn't really that keen on the red-and-white stripes schemes until I de-masked this one - it really looks quite spectacular in the flesh! For the record I just went with Tamiya XF-7, and while perhaps a tad bright, I think it's acceptable. I'll need to touch up the wheel bays, and then it's on to the upper surfaces!

Here's the now-finished prop:

file-12.jpg

More soon, and thanks for looking as always.

Kev

Looking good Kev!

I might have add some level of post shadding and/or some filters to slightly break the uniformity of all this red area (but maybe I just do not see it well from pics).

Can't wait to see you tackle the upper surfaces ;)

I might have add some level of post shadding and/or some filters to slightly break the uniformity of all this red area (but maybe I just do not see it well from pics).

Thanks Loic. This is just the primary colours (literally in this case!). No weathering or any form of highlighting has been attempted yet. I'll do the upper surface camo, then gloss coat and decals, and finally some washes and post-shading to break things up a bit. I don't plan to heavily weather this one, but I'm toying with the idea of pulling and old Corsair out of the cabinet and refinishing it to practice some weathering techniques.

Kev

Brad, Maru - thanks for checking in. And now we have stickers!

file-14.jpg

Just need to finish applying the walkway lines to the wings and then I can call the decalling done. The kit decals are excellent, among the best kit decals I've used. The placement guide is too small and indistinct though, and it's impossible to tell exactly where some of the smaller stencils are supposed to go, so I left them off.

More soon!

Kev

She looks great Kev. Between this and its big brother and the movie madness month reviews I have to ask...when do you sleep, eat and other stuff???

Well mate, I'm still on holidays until the 18th, so I don't have the burden of work at the moment. I'm trying to work through a very long list of chores and tasks (mainly gardening). Haven't actually been spending all that much time at the bench, and haven't touched this one's bigger brother in a couple of weeks now. I've told my wife that I'm planning to have a self-indulgent modelling day before I go back to work, and I plan to do one of those crazy 24-hour builds on the day. Anybody got any suggestions for a suitable kit that could be finished in a day (non-LSP)?

But back to the topic, I should have finished photos up before too long.

Kev

Righto fellas, I'm calling it done. Just a single snapshot while I wait for the opportunity to get some glamour shots:

file-15.jpg

The kit only comes with the flat version of the canopy, which I've since discovered is incorrect, so I pinched the bulged version from the Tamiya D-9 kit (which thankfully provides one of each). It's an acceptable fit, but not perfect. I pushed the port wing-tip light too far into its hole, and couldn't coax it out again, so all you get is a bit of red peaking out - entirely lost in all that red paint! I also had trouble installing the landing gear, as the fit was anything but positive, and the starboard gear cants in too much and upsets the sit when viewed from the front.

There are lots of little screw-ups actually, but I'm quite happy with it, and I think it looks pretty good as a shelf-sitter - even if the harsh light from the camera's flash doesn't really do it justice. These days I tend to be pretty relaxed about most 1/48 builds, and very much take a 'near enough is good enough' approach. It's nice to be AMS-free occasionally!

Kev

That looks pretty damn good. Just curious where you found the information on the blown canopy. The only picture I have of red 4 with the canopy on isn't clear enough to see what style it is. The other well known picture has it without the hood.

Brad, check the following post in my companion 1/32 conversion:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=37059&view=findpost&p=360021

In hindsight, I should've used the bulged canopy from the Dragon D-9 kit I had, and used this kit's flat canopy with it. That way the fit would have been guaranteed. Not sure why I didn't think of it at the time!

Kev