Aeroclub 1/32 Pitts Special Vacuform

JimRice

post-140-1167719542.jpg

Here are some photos of my Aeroclub Pitts S-1D (4 aileron), back dated to S-1C (2 aileron, lower wing only). I purchased this kit in the early/mid -80s. Until last week, I basically had the parts cut out of the carrier is all. I'd trashed a couple of cockpits and was making no progress. I decided I was going to make some headway during my vacation and I did.

This is my first vacuform kit. I am pleased with it so far. I've learned a great deal about modeling with this kit. Now I just have to figure out how to clean all the sanding dust out of the inside/cockpit when I am done!!!!

Needless to say, there is still much work to do. I just got it on the landing gear today. The wheelpants were the last items cut from the carrier sheet today. I still need to construct the V struts from the axle to the belly between the gear, eliminate the cross axle and fill the hollow backsides of the landing gear legs. I also have to finish and install the rearmost pair of cabane struts and install the horizontal tail surfaces. I think the hardest construction is behind me and it is actually getting close to paint!!! YEAH!!!

The ultimate goal is to look like the photo at the very bottom, circa 1966 when flown by US Champion, Bob Herendeen.

What a great little model! The Pitts is one of my all time favorite aircraft, especially the S1C, I’ll be watching this one with a lot of interest. I just picked up a S2B 1/33 paper model, but it’s going to take more practice before I can get to that.

I really like that scheme, haven’t seen that one before. Starburst on top? Anything on the bottom of the wings?

I really like that scheme, haven’t seen that one before. Starburst on top? Anything on the bottom of the wings?

That paint scheme is from Betty Skelton's Pitts N22E (Pitts Special #2) in the late 40s, early 50s. My dad built his first Pitts (N66Y) in 1963 and soon sold it to Bob Herendeen. Bob then flew it for several years, winning the US National Championship and competing in International competition in Moscow both in 1966.

The sunburst is repeated on top and bottom of both top and bottom wings. It really won't be that hard to paint......just time consuming to tape off.

Unfortunately, it may be a bit before I get to paint anything. My airbrushes were both acting up so I pulled them apart to soak and like an idiot, I forgot to pull the air valves. The thinner attacked the orings and now neither works. I had to order parts from Dixie Art via 2 day air so I will hopefully be back in action this weekend.

I'll try to add a new update when I have made some progress.

I also have the Airshow Models S-2B I want to work sometime. It should be MUCH easier despite being resin. It will be my first all resin kit just like this was my first vacuform!!!

Thanks for the interest.

Jim

That's a small but colourful model. It is looking good.

Thanks for the interest. Yes, it is small, but it has been a lot of tun building it. I have learned many new skills to complete this one. Those skills should serve me well on future builds!!!

Thanks,

Jim

That is a nice looking scheme. Was Betty’s red and white also? I have Davidson’s book on the Pitts which is great!

Bummer on your airbrush, hopefully it will be up and running soon.

The Airshow Pitts really are great, where shall resin didn’t bother me so much. We have a number of builds of them in the Articles and Photostory section. From those reports, they do build easily and quickly. I was working on the cleanup on mine and the resin was the best I have run across and my limited experience with resin. Looking forward to seeing the build of yours.

That is a nice looking scheme. Was Betty’s red and white also? I have Davidson’s book on the Pitts which is great!

Yes, Betty's was also red and white. It is in the Smithsonian now. I found a couple of photos of it under restoration on the web. They are the only color photos I've ever seen of it. All period photos are black and white.

Jim

Whaou Jim ! that's a great one !!!

I really like this planes and until now I didn't even knew it was released in my favorite scale ! :lol:

One thing is sure : the day I walk by such a kit, I will not hesitate !!!

( BTW how was the construction - I never had a vacu kit in my hands...)

Jim the Pitts is one of my all-time favorites.I was six or seven when I saw my first Pitts so that would be around 72/73.My dad was going for his fixed-wing at the time and there was an aerobatic team based out of this field called the Canadian Reds.Three Pitts Specials with ex-RCAF pilots at the controls and they were great.Really nice work on the old girl so far.It looks excellent...cheers

Whaou Jim ! that's a great one !!!

I really like this planes and until now I didn't even knew it was released in my favorite scale ! :huh:

One thing is sure : the day I walk by such a kit, I will not hesitate !!!

( BTW how was the construction - I never had a vacu kit in my hands...)

Supermario, construction was more an issue of motivation than anything else. Being my first vac, I was bit nervous and just couldn't get myself motivated. I've had this kit for over 20 years and all I had ever managed to do was cut the fuselage and wings from the carrier. I had built at least 2 cockpits that I ended up discarding because they didn't fit well. I finally built an acceptable one using skills I learned here and at Hyperscale. I've since been making good progress on it.

Unfortunately, Aeroclub no longer has this kit as it has been OOP for several years. They do pop up on eBay occasionally.

It looks like I am not going to be able work on it (or any model) for a bit. I'll post more photos when I do.

Thanks for the interest.

Jim