MDC Typhoon Mk.1b

Rick K

Definately a tricky job, but once together it holds up well, but it looks like you are doing a great job.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.  My incoming angst is going to be the wing root.  Like you I will apply some warm water and push the wing root from the wheel well.

Fantastic work Rick! I particularly like how you constructed the cockpit details oversized, and then trimmed them back. Much easier than trying to get them sized exactly up front! Thanks for reminding me about this invaluable approach.

Kev

Thanks Kev.

When you hang around carpenters long enough the same approach can be applied to toy airplanes.  :)

The work you've done on the cockpit has come together very nicely Rick. Now I know that the camera amplifies even the smallest imperfections so I have to ask, are the parts in this kit that roughly cast? They look pretty rough especially the control stick, gun sight, and armour plate.

Cheers,

Wolf

The work you've done on the cockpit has come together very nicely Rick. Now I know that the camera amplifies even the smallest imperfections so I have to ask, are the parts in this kit that roughly cast? They look pretty rough especially the control stick, gun sight, and armour plate.

Cheers,

Wolf

Yes the parts are that roughly cast.  IP almost looks like carved out of clay.  I added texture to the armor plate.

The seat was replaced with Barracuda's offering.  Wings and fuselage have some "texture" issues as well.

Hopefully I can correct these as I move forward.

Hey Rick!  I really like the work you've done so far.  The Typhoon is such a great plane, and you are doing an awesome job on the MDC kit.

One quick question though, is that satellite looking thing on the throttle handle cast on the kit? I can't seem to find that in my reference photos.  Keep up the great work buddy

Matt  :frantic:

Rick, excellent pit ! The subtle little details make this one a keeper. I might add one thing, and this is my own opinion, I think the red in the pit needs toning down a little.I hope you don't take this badly.....Harv  :popcorn:

Edited by Guest

Guest Peterpools

Rick

Terrific work on the front offcie and in no way could I imagine how brilliantly it would turn out at the start. Wonderful execution and alot of scratch work .. all coming together so very well'

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Rick, you're doing a fine job.

Wolf took the words right out of my mouth though. I'm surprised at how ropey some of the original parts look. :wacko:

I applaud MDC for offering this aircraft but it looks like quite a challenge in places.

Keep at it. I'm confident you'll batter it into submission.

Cheers.

Yes the parts are that roughly cast.  IP almost looks like carved out of clay.  I added texture to the armor plate.

The seat was replaced with Barracuda's offering.  Wings and fuselage have some "texture" issues as well.

Hopefully I can correct these as I move forward.

Hrmmm, that is interesting................................Although I do not have the MDC Tiffie in my stash, I did have the MDC tiffie cockpit kit to add to a Revell car-door kit i had in my stash. I had an offer I couldnt refuse on the car-door, and knowing I had it, the same guy who bought the car-door also purchased my MCD pit set too.

Before selling it, I had ordered it and did give it a thorough going over, and my copy was very clean, and had no such rough parts in it what-so-ever. Athough it may not have been FM&P or Aires type crisp resin, it was in fact very nice.

Im wondering if maybe you got a bad set?   Or maybe a set that came from a set of masters at the end of their life-cycle?

Hrmmm, that is interesting................................Although I do not have the MDC Tiffie in my stash, I did have the MDC tiffie cockpit kit to add to a Revell car-door kit i had in my stash. I had an offer I couldnt refuse on the car-door, and knowing I had it, the same guy who bought the car-door also purchased my MCD pit set too.

Before selling it, I had ordered it and did give it a thorough going over, and my copy was very clean, and had no such rough parts in it what-so-ever. Athough it may not have been FM&P or Aires type crisp resin, it was in fact very nice.

Im wondering if maybe you got a bad set?   Or maybe a set that came from a set of masters at the end of their life-cycle?

Something is off with this for sure. Mine was molded very nicely with no rough textures anywhere.

Hey guys, I agree.  The really "rough" castings were the IP, Seat, Joy Stick and Gun Sight.

I built MDC A6M2N Rufe conversion and all parts were quite nice.   I also have their Me262A-2a/U2 Glazed Nose Bomber conversion and parts look fine.

On the Tiffy, at a glance everything else seems ok.  There are some very slight imperfections on the wing trailing edge, flaps, lower front fuselage and near tail plane.  No big issue and certainly curable with some CA or putty and some sanding.  The landing gear and rockets appear ok.

I may reach out to MDC for a Gun Sight replacement as this will be the most visible of the flawed parts..

Appreciate the input

Hey Rick!  I really like the work you've done so far.  The Typhoon is such a great plane, and you are doing an awesome job on the MDC kit.

One quick question though, is that satellite looking thing on the throttle handle cast on the kit? I can't seem to find that in my reference photos.  Keep up the great work buddy

Matt  :frantic:

Hey Matt, that's the throttle control.  That type was used in Tiffys, Tempests and Spits.  The disc is a bit oversized, I'm ok with that.  Thanks for the kudos!

Rick, excellent pit ! The subtle little details make this one a keeper. I might add one thing, and this is my own opinion, I think the red in the pit needs toning down a little.I hope you don't take this badly.....Harv  :popcorn:

Gee Harv, you're killin'me!  :) 

Actually, I appreciate the coaching.  The red looks brighter in the photo.  Albeit, I'll leave it as is.  The pit is so dark the red actually adds some contrast.  Or call it artistic license.  Thanks again.

Coming together pretty well Rick, love the details you're putting in the cockpit. It's amazing how a few wires give the impression of a much more complete product!

Thanks Wouter.  I added some more wiring, pics to come.

Rick

Terrific work on the front offcie and in no way could I imagine how brilliantly it would turn out at the start. Wonderful execution and alot of scratch work .. all coming together so very well'

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you Peter.

Hi Rick, you're doing a fine job.

Wolf took the words right out of my mouth though. I'm surprised at how ropey some of the original parts look. :wacko:

I applaud MDC for offering this aircraft but it looks like quite a challenge in places.

Keep at it. I'm confident you'll batter it into submission.

Cheers.

Yeah this kit is giving me some angst and much enjoyment.  I often remind myself.  I am smarter than a piece of resin.