VMFA-334 F-4J Phantom II Falcons DaNang 1968 (finished)

Thanks, Gents.

I have run into a major **** up, though: the decals are old (both the kit ones and the CAM ones).

Tamiya will replace their old ones for free, but I didn't want to wait 3 weeks, so I purchased a replacement set.

A member is sending me the ID codes that got messed up. The carrier film is MICROSCOPIC and so the codes folded in on one another. Seems they need to literally float off the paper. That's tricky on a curved surface like the fuselage.

Another sold me some code stencils for a very reasonable price. CAM may have an extra set and a friend is checking the LHS which has put all the CAM series on sale for $5. When I called the store and asked if he'd check to see if they had 32-030, he cursed me out, even when I said I'd pay full price. What happened to politeness with customers?

Anyway, looking at options, including a member who's sending me extra codes.

Edited by Bill Cross

It looks really great so far Bill! :)

Can we see the aircraft in its raw state with paint and no decals?  I wish you all the luck in getting your decals on successfully!

Paul 

Thanks.

Er, I started the decals, but I'll take a photo of it half-naked, LOL.

Sorry, I got carried away.

Thanks Bill it helps other modelers see what the process should look like.  :)

Paul

PS what are you going to do for your next group build project? Any ideas?  :)

Paul

You are right, Paul. I was just having so much fun, I couldn't stop.

I have some armor projects I need to finish for Armorama. If Derek will get his F-4B resin conversion to me this Summer, I want to do a Navy B from the late 60s.

Apologies for not photographing the thing before starting on the decals. Since they started shredding, I guess it was the LSP gods punishing me, haha!

IMG_3789_800x600_.jpg

IMG_3790_800x600_.jpg

IMG_3791_800x600_.jpg

IMG_3792_800x600_.jpg

IMG_3793_800x600_.jpg

IMG_3794_800x600_.jpg

IMG_3795_800x600_.jpg

The nose wheels keep coming off, so I am holding off attaching them again until closer to the finish. There is no weathering yet, no jet exhaust. I Futured the whole thing before putting on the decals of course. Also, some of the PE antennas have broken off with the handling, so I will have to recreate them at the end.

looks really good man, keep it up, can't wait to see the finished build, I also like you, have some armor builds that need to get done for armorama and some of the campaigns that I have enlisted in.Oddly enough, one of them also was a vietnam group build. 

Jimminy Chricket Bill. she looks phantastic my friend ! I hope I can finish somewhere near your league . Keep it real Bill.....Harv :popcorn:  :popcorn:

looks really good man, keep it up, can't wait to see the finished build, I also like you, have some armor builds that need to get done for armorama and some of the campaigns that I have enlisted in.Oddly enough, one of them also was a vietnam group build. 

Oddly enough, I have no feel for VN armor. My dad was long in the Supply arm with his last tank in Korea. I built his tank there some time ago.

Not waisting any time with it! Super paint job Bill. She's getting closer to bein done. Great job.

Go Phantoms!!

Paul

Thanks, Paul. It's ironic how much more interesting VN-era planes were than today's gray ghosts.

Jimminy Chricket Bill. she looks phantastic my friend ! I hope I can finish somewhere near your league . Keep it real Bill.....Harv :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Ah, Harv, you're waaaay too kind. Tamiya kits sorta build themselves and the painting is pretty easy when it's white & light gray.