1/12 Scratch build of a T-6 Texan Frame / Cockpit

SirBlueHenry

I am almost starting a 1/12 Frame which is not for a full aircraft. It is intended for open viewing but will include as much of all the small detail as i can.

I purchased 3.5mm Brass rod a while back, then I finally got the North American blueprints and a couple of weeks back got a gas torch as my soldering iron will never handle the heating of this large brass rod.

The Frame will include a select few bras at 2.5mm.

What I have yet decided is if all the sleeves at the joints will be part of my plan.

The jig style that I had used previously on smaller frames will of course not work due to the blowtorch so I have some interesting jig planning to do - in a style which can handle a couple hundred degrees heat.

First up will be some trials on soldering with the torch - which I will post as well

Really nice work !

In 1/12 scale, it might be wise and look really good to sleave per the prototype, or at least pin all the joints... with the right pins and "fish mouthing" of the tube ends, you may not need any fancy jigs.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you project !

Joe

Yes Joe, I think you might be right. I looked through my stuff and I have a tiny bit of 4mm tube which fits beautifully, so now I would have to find quite a bit of it - maybe my local hobby shop - will have to see. I will have to do some thinking about how to manufacture these multitube joins.

SirBlueHenry,

If you are not familiar with these tools, have a look on the internet for pictures / info:

Jewelers torch ( if flame soldering is your thing )

Tubing notcher - I think you could whip up a miniture version, for fish mouthing the smaller brass tubing

Bicycle frame building jig - again, make something akin to this for miniature work and your soldering of frames will be easy peasy !

( the joints for your a/c framework are somewhat similar to the lugged construction of a steel bicycle frame )

Best wishes for your project !

Joe