1:32 Hasegawa US 500 pounder

Ralph Riese

Playing around with the 500lber that comes with Hasegawa's 32nd scale P-40E kit...

1S-6.jpg

2S-6.jpg

Casing stippled Mr Surfacer 500 to give an idea of rough casing texture - a bit on the heavy side methinks.

3S-6.jpg

Undercoated with Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green then some XF-3 Flat Yellow for the stripe.

4S-6.jpg

Casing was then mottled with XF-5 Flat Green, XF-65 Field Grey, XF-51 Khaki Drab, XF-4 Yellow Green (again), XF-59 Desert Yellow, and XF-14 JA Grey.

5S-6.jpg

6S-4.jpg

7S-3.jpg

8S-3.jpg

To represent the idea of an older casing fitted with a newer tail, the fins were painted with XF-62 Olive Drab and Gunze Sangyo H78 Olive Drab II. The shades are diffferent on large areas, but it doesn't show too well. Masking to give hard lines might have helped to bring out the colour difference on the individual fins. The fin edges were highlighted with a 70:30 mix of Vallejo's 70889 USA Olive Drab and 70886 Green Grey (RLM02).

I'm not at all sure about the sequence of ordinance marking application. Will add the kit decals and then see where to go from there.

Post offered in the spirit of sharing the fun - not at all meant as a "how to". Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Edited by Ralph Riese

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Monty Python - here's the bomb finished.

4S-11.jpg

The stark olive drab fins were toned down with oversprays of Tamiya XF-51 Khaki Drab and XF-71 Cockpit Green. Scratches and scuff marks were added after the kit stencil decal using random Vallejo acrylic colours applied by sponge.

5S-11.jpg

6S-9.jpg

7S-6.jpg

8S-6.jpg

9S-5.jpg

Now back to the airframe...

2S-11.jpg

1S-11.jpg

Thanks for looking. CHeers, Ralph.

Amazing paint work as always Ralph. You're an inspiration to me in this area, which is something I really need to work on.

Kev

Yeah I agree completely Kev. I obtained some Tamiya enamels after your efforts with the Raiden Ralph. Your painting there was also superb mate. Nice work on the bomb...I like it. Certainly never would have interpreted this thread as a how to...in the best spirit...sharing and what do you reckon. Thanks heaps...good inspiration.

Cheers Matty