Fw-190 A8 R/2 Sturmbock "Yellow 17" - JG 3 - FIN!!

Out2gtcha

Excellent start, and impressive pile of AM you have pulled together. :)

IIRC we discussed the Master Detail stabs about a year ago, as I plan to use the same set on my Fw 190F-8. Looking forward to see you using them on your build.

About the G factor landing gear, may I ask what you think of them compared to the kit items?

I understand their stuff is generally considered to be great but I have not seen any review of the set for the Fw 190.

Pit is shaping up nicely. Great paint and weathering. I may be getting ahead of you but shouldn't the oxygen fitting to the pilots' right side back panel be blue? As all O2 fittings would be?

J

Yeah. Probably.....most of the pit is "gizmology" as I'm no 190 expert. Which part should be blue, the whole thing, or just the small fitting sticking out?

I can definitely repaint any areas that need it.

Excellent start, and impressive pile of AM you have pulled together. :)

IIRC we discussed the Master Detail stabs about a year ago, as I plan to use the same set on my Fw 190F-8. Looking forward to see you using them onr your build.

About the G factor landing gear, may I ask what you think of them compared to the kit items?

I understand their stuff is generally considered to be great but I have not seen any review of the set for the Fw 190.

IMHO, the GFactor gear are the best in the industry. I've talked to the owner at the NATs back in 2011, and he is very talented and the gear are (unlike the SAC stuff)is not just reproductions of the OOB parts.

Edited by Out2gtcha

G-Factor IS the best AM gear you can get. I know the owner (Ernee) and have several of his sets. He is a great guy to know. Rest asherd, you will like them..........Harv

The whole sheebang should be blue . Also the outer or upper rings around the bezels on the IP should be colored for the function they display,yellow for fuel,blue for oxygen,brown for oil,etc.

J

Thanks!  I shall expedite ASAP.

Off to a great start!  One quick repaint suggestion - the accordion-like boot cover where the stick goes to the cockpit floor should be black rubber, rather than the brown (leather?) color it currently is :)

Will be watching with great interest!

Doug

Off to a great start!  One quick repaint suggestion - the accordion-like boot cover where the stick goes to the cockpit floor should be black rubber, rather than the brown (leather?) color it currently is :)

Will be watching with great interest!

Doug

Thanks Doug. ;) I shall include that in my re-paint!

Ive actually just received the Master Model brass 151 20mm canon barrels. REALLY nice little parts. I have also gone with a set of Radus nice paper harnesses VS a set of HGWs since the HGWs for the Fw are not laser and would need to be cut out by hand. Also, I intend on putting one of the belts flopped over the side of the fuse for effect, so I think the suppleness of the paper belts when dampened will lend itself to this very well.

More to follow!

Nice work, Brian - like the attention to detail - those rudder pedals looks great!

Thanks! Nice to hear. The EP pit PE is really nice stuff.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Nice subject !

The cockpit is very well detailed, and your paintjob / weathering is very good looking.

I love the Sturmbock 190's. It always makes me think of knights wearing heavy armors. How stressful it could have been to penetrate a block of B-17 with hundreds of MG firing at you, and seing thousand of tracing bullet flying everywhere. Those aircraft must have been damaged at almost each sortie.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. :) Having some days off round Christmas and a few more around new years next week and have progressed a bit more..............

I have implemented both Jerry's and Doug's re-paint suggestions as well as getting a head start on the prop assembly. Willies bird seemed to not have much chipping on the props but more fading so thats what I went for. I like a little wear and tear on my boss so did a small amount of weathering and chipping as well on the EP boss.

The props all got a coat of Tamiya fine white, followed by an RLM 70 base, followed by  gradual lightening coats of RLM 70 outboard to the tips of the props. The base collar got a coat of MM steel then some Tamiya silver to break it up. Next was a gradual (but hard to see in pics) clear coat fading from semi gloss at the base to flat at the tips. Here you cat see before and after clearing with the MM lacquer flat:

DSC02336.jpg

Here you can see the RLM 70 fading a bit better. Im actually happy I feel I achieved a slight bit of subtlety with these, as I had initially hoped:

DSC02338.jpg

Next up it was time to paint the EP boss. This is a nice little bit of kit, and a well molded chunk of resin. I did my usual resin prep routine followed by a coat of Tamiya fine white primer witch for me works the best ever at getting paint to stick on resin parts. This was followed by a coat of RLM 04, then the Montex spiral masks. I had to modify these (stretch) these slightly as they were intended for the Has spinner which is not the same size as the EP boss. Here's the end result prior to any clearing or weathering:

DSC02342.jpg

DSC02341.jpg

Next up, it was time for a bit of weathering. The props recieved a coat of Flory model dart dirt wash follow by an application of light mud and oil stain Tamiya weathering pallets:

DSC02344.jpg

And after blending:

DSC02345.jpg

MORE......................

The EP boss got a coat of semi-gloss MM lacquer clear, followed by a wash of Flory Models dark dirt, which was followed by bit of chipping on the nose of the spinner. This was all ended with a spray of MM lacquer flat on the nose:

Here's the end result of the prop/spinner, sans assembly (please excuse all the hair attached this will be removed prior to assembly.............. i hope):

DSC02348.jpg

DSC02354.jpg

DSC02350.jpg

DSC02353.jpg

DSC02352.jpg

Lastly I got a coat of primer on the MDC upper tail wheel assembly followed by a coat of RLM 02 then a bit of a wash. I thinned out the tail wheel opening for a bit more of a scale appearance, and got the upper assembly glued to the port side of the fuse after painting the inside of the tail wheel well (the exposed bit of white primer will be covered by the lower tail wheel fork) :

DSC02346.jpg

Lastly, after the tail wheel set, I used some clamps and got the fuselage halves glued together using some Tamiya super thin cement:

DSC02347.jpg

I let this harden up overnight and all of today, so will likely fiddle more with the excellent EP pit later tonight.

All for now lads and lass's........thanks for looking in on me.

Cheers,