Yeager's X-1

LSP_Kevin

Hope this helps Kevin, good luck!

Wow Russ, talk about lateral thinking! I wouldn't have come up with that approach in a million years! Well, I think the one thing all these ideas have in common (including my own), is that I need to start by thinning the fuselage trailing edges that form the nozzle housing. I kinda wish I had several of these kits now, so I could try out all of these different approaches! Just goes to show the various ways creative minds can solve the same problem.

Kev

Thanks for your advice Phil. Your approach sounds remarkably similar to Dan's suggestion. I have something else in mind for the moment, which is partly an amalgamation of some of the ideas you guys have presented in this thread, and partly a bit of crazy free-thinking of my own. The combination is probably dangerous...but only to me! Stay tuned.

Kev

Well bu**ger me Kev! I hadn't even read Dan's post! Great minds think alike?......................... Maybe not.

I'll go back to my dark corner!

Phil :frantic:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my own concoction of an idea to sort out the tail pipes didn't work. For the record, I tried mixing some Milliput and rolling it flat, and then stamping out the required shape using the tail end of the fuselage as a cookie cutter. It was nearly impossible to get a nice, clean cut, and the Milliput just stuck to the plastic anyway, so that the stamped shape would distort as I lifted the fuselage away.

I haven't tried any of the other ideas yet, but I have to confess I'm a bit over it. I'm going to set it aside for a while and build something else. I'm just not motivated enough with this one at the moment. It doesn't help that the kit stickers are confirmed as inaccurate for Yeager's sound barrier flight. I'll have to keep an eye out for the cutting edge set I guess. Did anyone else ever release anything for this kit?

Anyway, until next time!

Kev

Another idea would be to paint the end of the fuse, then while it is still wet, press it onto the evergreen sheet to get an accurate outline. Then wipe off the paint from the plane.

Its what I plan to do

Another idea would be to paint the end of the fuse, then while it is still wet, press it onto the evergreen sheet to get an accurate outline. Then wipe off the paint from the plane.

Its what I plan to do

Yep, I thought of that one. The problem for me isn't getting an accurate outline though, it's cutting one out! My attempts to cut shapes that are anything but straight edges and circles have all been abysmal, and as you can tell from the photos, the shape in question here is subtly complex. And it has to fit exactly, as the slightest mismatch in contours will stand out like dog's balls. I'll come back and give this approach ago once my motivation for it returns.

The strange thing about all this, though, is that in checking out all the online builds of this kit I could find, not one of them mentions any issues with the tail pipes, and they all look OK in the finished photos. :speak_cool: Mind you, hardly any of them showed this area clearly on the finished model, and they mostly opted for painting the area a very dark colour. So perhaps the problem was really there, but just camouflaged.

Kev

• 5 years later...

Holy Thread resurrection!!! 

Any further on Kev?

How about using one of these 

bunsen_zpsjoqjssvl.jpg

and using it to reduce the kit to 

plastic_zpshkga4kuq.jpg

Ha! Looks like my past modelling failures are coming back to haunt me. At least I got a bit further with this one that I did with the Matchbox Emil that Maru so kindly reminded me of. And just like that build, I figured I'd better move this one out of the GB, and here into the WiP forum in preparation for further progress (at some yet-to-be-determined time). Sadly, I just have no time for actual model building at the moment, but I plan to get back to it, and with a vengeance!

Kev