Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Yellow 11"

Thunnus

Thanks for all of the positive comments!  My normal scale is 1/48 but I really admire the work of the many great builders here at LSP.  I'm a big Dora fan and I liked the Hasegawa kit (Rudel boxing) so much that I recently snatched up the Late Version (Big Tail) for a future build.  There are lots of little niggling things that I missed on this build that I would like to address next time.

That's a real work of art, those FW-190s have such nice camouflage schemes applied to them.  Beautiful airbrushing work on the mottling, especially on the tail, can you talk a little more about how you did it?  

Thank you very much.  I went back and forth on the rudder mottling.  Based on archive photos, I noticed that Dora rudders often don't match the rest of the tail.  Similar to what I see on late war 109G's and K's.  Perhaps they were manufactured/painted separately?  Photos of Yellow 11 seem to support this notion (or at least didn't disprove it).

190D-9%20Yellow%2011-02_zpsvckrehgr.jpg

So I hard-masked the rudder off from the rest of the tail and applied a mottle pattern of RLM 75/83 on top of the base RLM 76.  I wasn't getting the desired contrast between the rudder and the rest of the tail so I kept re-doing it.  I even tried it with a base of RLM 83 and then mottling 75 and 76 over it but that came out too dark.

IMG_1491_zpsselygbzr.jpg

I must've tried 4-5 times before settling on a mottle using a lighter green (RLM 82) and 75 over 76.  

IMG_1499_zpszpua7ubo.jpg

The mottling pattern was kept intentionally diffuse.  Tried to keep the mottles "wispy" as opposed to "blocky" if that makes any sense.  I use mostly Tamiya and Gunze acrylics thinned with 90% iso alcohol at about a 1:4 ratio shot through an Iwata HP-C Plus.

The final effect is hard to discern in the photographs but I use my own form of pre-shading using a random squiggle pattern.  Inspired by Doog's black-basing but putting my own spin on it.

IMG_1445_zps67tbdl9y.jpg