Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Yellow 11"

Thunnus

Here is my recently finished Dora in 1/32 scale.  My normal scale is 1/48 so I don't usually post here but I thought I'd share this one.  Although the Hasegawa kit is excellent, I purchased quite a few aftermarket resin upgrades but I ended up not using the majority of tem due to fit issues/operator error... i.e. Eagle 3-piece gun cowling, Eagle radiator cowling, and the most of the MDC cockpit.  I modified the curvature of the Hasegawa gun cowling using the Eagle resin as a guide with sheet plastic and putty.  A first for me: I riveted the entire surface of the aircraft using Radu's Rivet-R.  Colors were primarily Tamiya acrylics with some Gunze mixed in and Alclad for the metal portions underneath.  Decals are Eagle Cals.

JTK_0136_zpswi5dzgpx.jpg

JTK_0139_zpsvmlwn3mp.jpg

JTK_0166_zpswivxawwt.jpg

JTK_0168_zpsgna6lkvm.jpg

JTK_0173_zpsotesnrcs.jpg

JTK_0174_zpswbrlwrii.jpg

JTK_0170_zpsa6mr5kvw.jpg

JTK_0154_zpsqc9ju2zt.jpg

JTK_0180_zpsvupwgxyf.jpg

JTK_0150_zpsr58yhwdm.jpg

Edited by Thunnus
Photo links fixed

Thanks for the comments!  Feel free to publish this on your website Kevin.  My full name is John Kim.  Here are some in-construction pics, for those that are interested...

The harnesses were made from the foil off a wine bottle and buckles from the MDC cockpit set.

IMG_0768_zpstrb8qvyd.jpg

Riveting process on the wings.

IMG_1170_zpsk5wayv9q.jpg

The MDC instrument panel mounted on the kit cockpit tub.  The MDC cockpit tub is in the foreground.  Due to the "vague" fit, I ended up binning the MDC tub and using the kit tub instead.

IMG_1191_zpsfb4boq5s.jpg

The Revi gunsight from the MDC set with clear acetate reflector glass.

IMG_1318_zps4coqhout.jpg

Wire details added to the landing gear.

IMG_1227_zps3x2xfhsn.jpg

Landing gear after painting and weathering.

IMG_1233_zpsao93fnvz.jpg

The kit exhausts were used but the ends were hollowed out using an x-acto blade.

IMG_1244_zps80omegxe.jpg

Prop spinner after riveting/painting/weathering.

IMG_1341_zpswdc998cf.jpg

Thin electrical wire was wound around a small drill bit to form the aerial tension spring.

IMG_1594_zps9kzq4vzn.jpg

Great paint job! One of the best I have seen. What did you use for the finish? I really like the subtle satin finish you have achieved.

Thank you!   I've been struggling to find a matte clear that I can depend on.  I like the look of the Alclad Klear Kote Flat but I have curing issues with the Alclad clear finishes.  It just doesn't seem to dry fully.  Right now I am using Alclad Aqua Gloss (which I really like) with Tamiya Flat Base but it has a tendency to turn whitish if you push the flatness too much.  You can see this effect start to rear its ugly head on the RLM83 patches on the gun cowl and upper wings.  So I have my eyes and ears open for a better alternative.

Beautiful model, but more importantly, absolutely killer weathering!  Not everybody can apply realistic looking chips and stains to a model, but you are clearly one who can.  This is pure art and I just love it.  Congrat's!

Cheers,

Chuck