Trumpeter Me 262A-1a KG(J)54

D Bellis

Thanks for all the kind words! :)

How did you get that hard edged camo on the tail to look so good?

Thanks! I cut a mask from flexable 'sign vinyl' based on photographs of other Kommando Nowotny Me 262 tails.

Lovely work D! Mind if I pinch them for the website?

Thanks, Kev! Sure, you can use the pics.

D

Thanks again for the kind words! :)

How do you like the Signifier wheels?

The Signifier wheel set is ok, certainly a huge improvement over the kit's vinyl (or whatever they are) tires. However, the nose wheels provided are not the correct sizes. The wide tire is significantly smaller in diameter when it should be the same diameter as the narrow tire. I was lazy with this build and used the provided treaded tire because it is very close the correct diameter. The optimal route would be to get a set of good aftermarket 1/32 K-4 main wheels and use one for the nose wheel. I'll probably do just that for future builds of this kit, although I'm not sure if good aftermarket 1/32 K-4 wheels even exist.

D

I almost forgot:

3/16" (5mm) was removed from the main gear legs' oleos. Checking my references, it appeared that the kit legs represent them fully extended, and the model looked like it was standing on its 'tippy toes' with them like that.

Each plastic leg was cut at the top of the oleo, and the oleos shortened by the required amount. The ends at the joint were then center drilled to accept a short length of 1/16" strene rod before gluing them back together. A small alignment tab had to be removed from the inside of the upper gear doors as well.

I would have preferred to use the kit's metal main gear legs, but modifying those would have been far more difficult. In the end, only the metal nose gear leg was used (with the oleo scissors removed to represent the late production version).

D