F-4S, VMFA-112, Heater-Ferris Scheme - Final Pics Coming Through...

Marcel111

Gorgeous! I love that entire tail section, especially the gap between the leading edges of the stabilators.

One tip, just in case you don't know already. That circular navigation light behind the cockpit should be painted before installation. There is a trim piece around the light with rivet detail, so stick a small dot on the light in the middle, paint the rest, then install it in the circular hole. You might paint the interior of the hole silver before you do. The fit is very tight, so do some trimming and dry fitting before you commit, because there's no turning back once the the light is halfway in.

I only mention this because at least half of all Tamiya F-4 builds make the mistake of assuming the entire circular clear plastic is a lens. It's not.

Cheers,

Chuck

Yes I agree great looking plane and nice build as well that you've got there, and I like that paint scheme you've picked plus that map; centre of attention when you look in the cockpit... Love It!

My only suggestion would be to put a small Playboy magazine cover to cover the instrument panel, you see it'd be more realistic to see a playboy in a cockpit than a map :-)

Really just love this suggestion :-) will see where I can strategically place that Playboy.

One tip, just in case you don't know already. That circular navigation light behind the cockpit should be painted before installation. There is a trim piece around the light with rivet detail, so stick a small dot on the light in the middle, paint the rest, then install it in the circular hole. You might paint the interior of the hole silver before you do. The fit is very tight, so do some trimming and dry fitting before you commit, because there's no turning back once the the light is halfway in.

Thx Chuck, all over that one like chocolate sauce over ice cream, I remember that from my Chico build. Silly me for not dropping the light in sooner though, would really be a bummer if I have fit issues now.

Thx for all of the encouragement! I really feel like I am getting close now! On the down side, my wife asked me if I was taking a break from modelling after this project :-/ she's not so impressed that my next build will be two models at once (F-16 double build).

Cheers,

Marcel

I spent quite a bit of time redoing the windscreen and canopy framing... not sure how realistic to this particular F-4 that really is but with the Tamiya clear parts being glued onto the framing without consideration of the cleanup and glue, I have had to do this on both my Chico and now this build. The seats are also in (already built these back when I did my Chico build).

DSC_0180%202_zpstkrdj0tz.jpg

Under magnification:

DSC_0180%202%20-%20Copy_zpsnlnwkhxp.jpg

View from top:

DSC_0183_zps4vznxqkf.jpg

DSC_0183%20-%20Copy_zpstiypakpv.jpg

Overall view:

DSC_0181_zpsk1ijtlvf.jpg

Happy Friday guys!

Marcel