Navy F4J - 4/24/16 Finished!

Bill_S

I'm still undecided as to the markings; Yellowhammer has some nice "Showtime 100" decals... I've got an Aires pit on the way, and resin intakes and exhausts. I've already spent more on AM than I did on the kit!

Most of my builds are OOB props, but I admit a weak spot for Navy jets. As a midshipman in college (1975), I got to spend six weeks on the USS Kennedy. Lots of Intruders and Corsairs... no Phantoms, and only one Tomcat on that Caribbean cruise. On a trip to Corpus Christi, I got a ride in the back seat of a TA-4J - what a thrill. Colorblindness kept me from my dream of being an aviator.

I've done two of the Navy birds, something you need to watch out for. Depending on how old the kit is, the decals made by Scalemaster didn't work right. They cracked up and disintegrated. Built two and have two in the stash and ALL have bad decals. Something to watch out for if you go aftermarket and have to use the kit stencils and data decals.

Don

The decals in my kit are by Cartograf. They appear to be very well done. That part is a LONG way off, though. Right now, work on the LG until my resin arrives. Pics will follow after I get some plumbing in place.

Masked the raised panels... I scribe around the raised panel, then deepen the rivet detail with a 0.01" drill prior to sanding.

DSCN0122_1.jpg

I think I've decided on markings, too. Found this sheet in the stash.

VF92_Decals.jpg

VF- 92 Silver Kings...

Edited by Bill_S

I finished my raised panels and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still a bit of work thow. She's gonna be a perdy bird....Harv

Raised panels are sanded, I set to work cutting up the fuselage for the intakes.

It was tedious, but they fit like a glove!

DSCN0124%5B1%5D.jpg

DSCN0125%5B1%5D.jpg

Still waiting on my Aires cockpit.

Edited by Bill_S

That pesky gage / window.

I took a different approach than what I've seen others do here. I drilled a 0.060 in (1.5 mm) hole in the recess. Then a coat of black paint.

DSCN0126_1.jpg

Used the Waldron punch to cut a disk, then applied a decal from the spares box. Cut a piece of clear acetate to fashion a cover.

DSCN0129_1.jpg

Once everything dries, I'll seal it with PVA or Future, and mask.

Edited by Bill_S

You're F-4 is looking really good there Bill! I really like the Marine Markings too! Let me know what you decide so I can update the list too!  :) 

All the best,

Paul  

Paul,

Thanks for the kind words. I like those Marine markings too, but the Navy is under represented - I think so far, mine is the only Navy Phantom!

This bird will be BuNo 155755 of VF-92 from the USS Constellation 1971-1974.

You're really moving along on the Scooter - it looks great so far!

Bill.