Yak-18 Bed Check Charlie 59: Done!

EmperorKai

Wow, i love that build !

It's funny your concept of "quick build", lol, as it widely and accurately detailed. Anyway, it looks outstanding !

20080227_datangshan__Yak-18__2_zpsgzgajc

Any clue about this strange rust color? Some panels really looks rusty, but arent aircraft supposed to be made of aluminium? Is it possible that this one would be made of steel?

Howdy folks!  Thanks so much for the encouragement!

In regards to the pics above, there is a whole series of these, and I came to the conclusion that it is either a red primer or what is left of red paint job.  

I finally got some decent bench time this weekend and resolved to finally finish this one.  I'll probably need 2 posts to show all the "action"...

IMG_0101_600_zpswammmak2.jpg

The kit is missing the reinforcement on the upper side of the horizontal tail plane.  This was added with very thin brass wire.

IMG_0155_600_zpszvjhqjdl.jpg

The kit pitot tube is also too thick for my taste, so the hole in the leading edge of the wing was cleaned up with aluminum tubing and a simple pitot tube made from thin walled brass tube.

IMG_0139_600_zpsyjqnih5l.jpg

In what is probably the worst part of the kit (which is not bad at all actually), the landing gear is raked backwards too much, which gives it a pronounced, stilted look. 

7-4_zpsfdwdas3y.jpg

Here, an actual landing gear for comparison.

IMG_0143_600_zpsbmj6nxgk.jpg

The hole for the landing gear was simply worked with a pin vise and the fairing carved back for the correct angle.  The blurred landing gear in the background gives some indication how much the forward rake was added.

IMG_0118_600_zpszonizbwt.jpg

Masking finally done...

IMG_0169_600_zpsocnq3xd5.jpg

I decided to pre-shade on this project (which I don't usually do).  So I cleaned up the cowling first.  Gunze thinner made quick work of the Tamiya paint. 

IMG_0175_600_zpsrmiau78j.jpg

Pre-shading on the upper surfaces.

IMG_0173_600_zpsdqk6apfp.jpg

Pre-shading on the under surfaces.

IMG_0179_600_zpsmfcxh2yk.jpg

Tamiya Japanese Army Green was used for the upper surfaces.  Silly putty was used for the soft edge on the black under side, with some minor masking around the tail plane.

More pics in next post...

Edited by EmperorKai

Now for some of the issues I ran into-

IMG_0126_600_zpsga0yr3mq.jpg

The rims for the wheels are devoid of any real detail.  Disks were cut from styrene to start adding some of the missing detail.

IMG_0131_600_zpst40cvg1w.jpg

The next issue was a defect in the tires that my copy came with.  Just another reason why I am not a fan of the vinyl tires.  In this case, for lack of a better solution short of casting my own resin set, I just filled the deformity with CA.  The tires were then cut for weight and the seam sanded out.

IMG_0148_600_zps3nejlcwx.jpg

The completed landing gear with brake lines added.

IMG_0364a_600_zpseo9lv57s.jpg

Here, an actual wheel for comparison

IMG_0184_600_zpsjq5lqeu0.jpg

Next problem...  As Dutik pointed out early in this build, the underwing stars, which are visible in the pics, are placed well forward on the underside of the wing.  Unfortunately, the kit doesn't include these.  Only 2 NKAF roundels are included.  Boo.

I went through every possible kit that might have extras (Trumpeter Mig-15, 17, 19, 21, Su-27, Mi-24, Mi-4, etc) and NADA.  Went through every decal sheet in the bin- nope.  All the decals scraps.  nuttin.  So the underwing roundels are out and I decided to keep moving.

IMG_0189_600_zps8tsv4x79.jpg

To at least replicate the worn roundel in the pic of aircraft 15, I roughed up the roundels with sandpaper.  The kit decals were strangely really easy to chip.  

IMG_0196_600_zpsbufvuqnr.jpg

After gloss coating with Tamiya Clear, the markings were applied.  Post-shading and fading of the markings was done with JA Green with a dab of Olive Drab and Neutral Gray.The decals for the work number 59 was provided by leftover markings from a Trumpeter Nanchang CJ-6 Trainer build I did about 2 years ago.

IMG_0195_600_zpsbujylwsh.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't zap the vertical fin well enough with the clear.  As a result, the decals silvered quite badly.

IMG_0199_600_zpswinjy2qe.jpg

Wow- what a mess.  Solva-set was used to soften the decals and finally remove them which also scarred the underlying paint.  Note that the brass line was also a casualty.   :wacko:

IMG_0203_600_zpsrogcwpz2.jpg

Cleaned up and repaired with a good solid gloss coat.  Waiting for new numbers...

and that's where it sits at the moment.  I have smaller numbers from the same leftover decal sheet that I'll use for aircraft 59.  

Hoping to finish next weekend!

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Hi

I never really cared about the Yak 18, I even didn't know what does it look like .....So , not very convinced , I finally took a look to your thread and ,I am not disappointed ,all along, it's a very good build , well detailed , and nicely done , and rarely seen subject ... bravo !!!!!!!!!!  
Alain