What Ju Talkin' Bout, Willis? Completed 20/9/17

Gazzas

Hello friends. 

I spent a few hours just getting the shark mouth decals on.  And that wouldn't be bad if all had according to plan.  First off I realized that the decals were made with no holes for the exhaust stubs. 

Thinking back on that, I would have had to do some modifying a long time ago in the build to be able to place the decals over the holes made for the exhaust stubs.  Unlike most hollow-bodied a/c, this one actually has supports to keep the engine panels and exhaust stubs from collapsing inward.

In the end I cut holes that were a little too small and had to fight the decals into place.  Then, I had to use Tamiya Flat White enamel to fill in where the white had been cut out.  Ingeniously, some extra red, white, and black bordered material is provided on the decal sheet.  I did use some of it, for sure.  The decals are deliciously thin and responded well to Mr. Mark Softer fortunately.

I took the images in macro just to see how they looked closer than my eyes can see in some very bright light.  Del Sol...

153855.jpg

When I started priming this build I was using a harsh thinner for the primer.  This caused an unwanted textures which showed up once I had it painted.  I ended up buying some fine micromesh and so at this magnification you can see where the paint has been sanded very close to the white primer underneath.  Couldn't see it without the pictures, though.

153909.jpg

I spent a couple of hours researching German bomb color.  In the end I settled for an RLM 73 centreline bomb (SC250) and four RLM 71(ish) wing (SC50's) bombs.

153941.jpg

While I was waiting for Mr. Mark Softer to dry, I stuck on a couple of the underwing crosses.  These are actually the kit decals which are much thicker than the NG Models decals.  It takes about three applications of Mr. Mark Softer to start getting a response...  Which makes them a bit better than Hasegawa or Tamiya decals.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

I LIKE how the sanding 'wore' through the paint and creates a more natural worn effect = looks terrific and goes really well with the fading you did  Excellent work!.  I did that same thing on a P-51 I built years ago.  Its a bit heart-stopping to be sanding a nicely painted aircraft on purpose, but the results are really nice.

Back to the sharksmouth - great job and it looks painted on so I don't think you can do any better than that.  What a great looking Stuka!

Chris

Chris, Thank you very much!

I've got all of the decals on after a marathon session to get the remaining 52 decals on yesterday.

103713.jpg

The three decals on the prop blades are actually six.  I don't understand why, but these triangles and the fuel triangles all have a separate white backing.

103721.jpg

103736.jpg

Unfortunately in trying to find 'scale lightness' in the color scheme, I discover that the green 'A' isn't very easy to see.  I'm hoping that the final matte coat will make the difference more apparent.

103750.jpg

Although the fuselage code letters come paired on the decal sheet, I did my best to remove any excess clear film by separating and trimming them.

103838.jpg

Finally I sealed up the decals with a final coat of Future.  The hardest thing to do was to decal the air brakes.  The decals would only conform to the airbrakes after repeated coats of Mr. Mark Softer.  In the end, I'm pretty happy the way the decals came out.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

After spending hours trying to find a shot of the Stuka's underside for some direction on how I might weather it, I came upon this image:

Ju87-Stuka-28f-s.jpg

Photo for discussion only

I can only assume that the JuMo engine must have dripped a fair amount of oil which travelled back along the fuselage and was flung by the propeller wash into a broad stain under the starboard wing with a lessor stain under the port wing.

I'm not sure that the D and G models looked this way underneath. 

Gaz

Hi Everyone!

Finished this Aifrix Stuka.

I kept the upper weathering to a minimum, only using a couple of very thin washes and some exhaust staining.  The underside I really dirtied up.  Here are the pics:

154435.jpg

154446.jpg

154500.jpg

154514.jpg

154609.jpg

154709.jpg

154727.jpg

It was a nice little kit with some nice innovations and options. 

Thanks for looking!

Gaz