WNW Junkers J.1

DonH

As I wait for my Albatros rigging to stop falling apart, I have started on the Junkers J.1, mainly because there is zero rigging. I was lucky enough to get this kit from WNW when they had the water damaged stock. Apart from some damage to the box, the kit is perfect and a real bargain.

I am going to do this one:

M8Qqu5o.jpg

(This is from the WNW website. If I am not allowed to post this, I will remove it, just let me know)

I have been having great fun painting the interior. For the wood, I used RB productions PE paint masks. I like these a lot and are ideal for what I want to achieve at this point.

I have been trying lots of techniques to get the effect I want and, honestly, I am having a ball.

HOWEVER, I haven't actually stuck the main bits together yet and I can already see that fit is both tight and somewhat dodgy in places. 

Here are some pics grabbed on my iPhone:

HT9pWZ9.jpg?2

DeT2ykx.jpg?2

mWxwN8H.jpg?2

JDos0Q7.jpg?1

Now then, the photo below shows the bottom from of the fuselage. There are three depressed circles on it. I assume these are ejector marks and need to be filled. Does anyone know if they should be there?

u0b7OwK.jpg?1

Until next time...

Excellent, I love the J1. Wingspan is massive for a single engine plane - as big as the AEG. I'm looking forward to your build.

Those are indeed ejector pin marks on the underside....

If it helps, I found I had to remove a fair bit of plastic from that piece and the attachment stub on lower wing to get a the win to fit on fully. Also - follow the instructions with the wings - Do not attach upper outer wings until the center is mounted with all the struts. I can't stress enough how many swear words were invented when I attempted to join the full upper wing onto the plane as one piece. In retrospect i wish I had written some of these new words down for future reference LOL!

Cool cool aircraft!
Your woodwork looks very nice too!
Looking forward to your progress!
Karim

Thanks Karim,

Not much of the wood will be seen, so I went with the PE masks as it is quick and relatively easy to do.

To be clear, the wood in the background of the photos is real  :whistle:

Excellent, I love the J1. Wingspan is massive for a single engine plane - as big as the AEG. I'm looking forward to your build.

Those are indeed ejector pin marks on the underside....

If it helps, I found I had to remove a fair bit of plastic from that piece and the attachment stub on lower wing to get a the win to fit on fully. Also - follow the instructions with the wings - Do not attach upper outer wings until the center is mounted with all the struts. I can't stress enough how many swear words were invented when I attempted to join the full upper wing onto the plane as one piece. In retrospect i wish I had written some of these new words down for future reference LOL!

Thanks for the tips!

With my past experience of WNW kits, perhaps we can compare notes on new words when I have finished this.

Yep, this is a big plane, I was surprised when I dry fitted the top wing together. I'm gonna need a bigger room.

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress on the big Junkers. I have the fuselage stuck together and I am very pleased with the overall fit. It pays to test fit a lot before sticking, but you know that already.

I used the kit belts. I annealed them and then painted them with all sorts of belt-like colours. I am honestly not sure what I used in the end but Tamiya Deck Tan and Red Brown were in there somewhere. I am pleased with the results and they drape nicely to my eye.

The engine is in place. I only did a quick paint job on it as it will be hidden when the engine covers go on. 

Finally, I have pre-painted the turtle deck and completed the leather round the pilot's cockpit "entrance". I am pleased with the result, it looks better in the flesh than in my photo.

All pictures taken using my iPhone, so no apologies for the quality.

wLyI6C2.jpg?1

9mIdYho.jpg?1

joZtTfO.jpg?1

PpLD94D.jpg?1

ZKjXMwl.jpg?1

Hope you enjoy. No more updates for a while as I am away on business for the best part of a month.

Cheers

Don