1/48 Tamiya P-47M 61st FS

titan8251

Fellas,

Figured I would work on an easy project while I work on the S-2 to keep from getting bogged down.  This kit falls together and before I knew it I was in paint.  Anywho on to the pics:

First the bird I want to do I was going to do Lanny's bird, but I wanted some kill markings so I will be doing Kyler's machine instead:

6TxXf1Yl.jpg

Scratch built some seatbelts out of lead foil and PE buckles.  Painted the cockpit with a mix to get Dark Dull Green.  Added the missing oxygen hose to the right side of the cockpit sidewall with solder:

hXUAXtdl.jpg

ueYAuIzl.jpg

tUSXF9bl.jpg

wvwrhEXl.jpg

Added the wire harness from shear wire and used the correct magnetos for the engine on the "M":

GXMX5Gil.jpg

painted the dark blue color with a mix of XF-17 and XF-1 to get the deep blue/black color, and painted the underside with Alclad duraluminum and a mix of red and shine red for the red ring on the cowling and rudder:

ELfCGqSl.jpg

H0332Dyl.jpg

ACJQ8bQl.jpg

Moved on the the "fiddly bits" before I start fading and shading the underside with different shades as well as fading the top:

KAHSzval.jpg

02yqYQVl.jpg

NfLkInnl.jpg

Andy

I had the very distinct privilege of spending an evening with Russ Kyler (and his wife) and chauffeuring him around a bit about ten years ago.  There are not enough superlatives in the English language to adequately describe him.  Kind, unassuming, gracious, funny, and one heck of a story teller would just be getting started.  A bonafide American hero in every sense of the word.  Your model looks fantastic and does justice to his memory.