Tamiya Birdcage Corsair

Durangokid

A most impressive to build to date. Just outstanding weathering in the cockpit. My only suggestion would be a dirty wash or two on those prestine belts, so that they would blend in with the overall weathering of your pit. 

I've got both of Tamiya's Corsairs in my stash, and I've gone with MRP paints for all my cockpits moving forward. I've also bought their Salmon as it really looks quite good from what I've seen online. Nothing wrong with your Salmon color. 

Just an outstanding effort in painting those exhausts. You've sold me on those colors from MRP.

As for your detailing of the cowl flaps, you sure could have fooled me about your detailing, it looks darn perfect.

Joel

Thanks for the nice comments guys, they are appreciated!

So here is where I'm at.  I forgot to take pics of the finished engine before I put the front end on.  I'm just waiting for my masks to come in but I'm still not sure what scheme to go with.  I really wanted to do the 8-ball- Dangerous Dan from the Barracuda set but looks like it's sold out.  I want to do a very dirty two tone version, any ideas???

There are a few pieces that fell off after painting, it's pretty fragile.  I did a bit of chipping and gave it a wash...

lmXW0w.jpg

j7gcje.jpg

8RNDyX.jpg

nNIiBG.jpg

x6METj.jpg

p3HrUf.jpg

QCWhWr.jpg

Do you guys think I over weathered the engine?  I'm wanting to do a heavily weathered bird but I don't want to completely over do it.

A most impressive to build to date. Just outstanding weathering in the cockpit. My only suggestion would be a dirty wash or two on those prestine belts, so that they would blend in with the overall weathering of your pit. 

I've got both of Tamiya's Corsairs in my stash, and I've gone with MRP paints for all my cockpits moving forward. I've also bought their Salmon as it really looks quite good from what I've seen online. Nothing wrong with your Salmon color. 

Just an outstanding effort in painting those exhausts. You've sold me on those colors from MRP.

As for your detailing of the cowl flaps, you sure could have fooled me about your detailing, it looks darn perfect.

Joel

Hey Joel,

Do you know how I could weather the RB belts?  They are kinda like paper so I was worried about using a wash...

Bryan

Guest Peterpools

Bryan

Nope, the Big P&W looks great for an engine with some nice combat hours on her

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Terrific stuff Bryan! I love your attention to detail, your painting and your weathering. I have to try using a sponge myself as the effect looks very good.

What I don't get is how Maskol is of any use with gluing parts together. I guess you use it to keep the part clear of paint so that it can be glued later. But on your picture the whole cylinders are covered in Maskol.

yGn8UJ.jpg

I would love to hear more about it.

I will follow with interest your progress.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks guys, glad to hear the engine isn't over done...

Peter..  I use the maskol to mask the parts where glue is going to go, that way it's not a mess gluing painted parts.  It is so much easier for me to glue with clean attachment points.  It takes a bit more time but not as much as you would think.  

I painted the cylinder head with Alclad aluminum and then masked them to paint the gray part of the engine.  Hope that makes sense.  I really like maskol cause its very thin and I can mask parts with very good accuracy.

Bryan

I almost forgot the wheel bays...

I'm not thrilled with the way these came out but I'm calling is good.  I used some of the salmon and MR Metal Color Iron for the chipping.   I like using the metal color cause I can lightly buff it when it dries to give it that metal shine.

sug1jB.jpg

t8acgr.jpg

Bryan,

As for weathering the belts, I'd go with an acrylic wash as it will be soaked up by the fabric making it difficult to remove the excess.  so go with light, very thinned coats and build up the base staining color, then a more random coat to give it a stained look. You really can't go wrong. Black, Brown, or any combination will work wonders.

Nothing wrong with your wheel well. Looks really great to me.

Joel

Bryan,

As for weathering the belts, I'd go with an acrylic wash as it will be soaked up by the fabric making it difficult to remove the excess.  so go with light, very thinned coats and build up the base staining color, then a more random coat to give it a stained look. You really can't go wrong. Black, Brown, or any combination will work wonders.

Nothing wrong with your wheel well. Looks really great to me.

Joel

Thanks Joel,  I'll give that a shot