F-16 Thunderbird #1

themongoose

She's ready for her top coat! To quote a cult classic, Down Periscope with Kelsey Grammar, She may not be the youngest girl at the ball... but she'll turn a head or two...

Best model I've ever built. Now wish me luck with the clear coat please. I practiced on a test part I've been using through the whole process and it looks good, even the decals had no problem, so I'm optimistic.

Everything is out of the box except the flag and the stop watch on the instrument panel. Here's a few shots prior to the big unveiling this coming weekend. I'll pull the tape off the canopy once the clear is on and then take some shots with a uniform background. Let's start with the money shot...

IMG_1281-X2.jpg

IMG_1286-L.jpg

IMG_1278-L.jpg

IMG_1287-L.jpg

IMG_1241-L.jpg

IMG_1226-L.jpg

IMG_1251-L.jpg

IMG_1258-L.jpg

Thunderbird Leader is all finished! What surprised me, and I am really happy with the effect, is that the gray panel line accent showed up darker after putting the clear coat on her. I use the classic Testors Clear. No matter what I've always had great luck with this stuff. You can just watch it flow and level out on the model.  

This is the 1st red uniform I've done. Much harder to shadow red compared to the classic blue. I stuck with the instructions and so the canopy is removable. I like that with the detail in the cockpit but on it's own it is just a little shy of sitting down tight.

IMG_1296-L.jpg

IMG_1326-L.jpg

I spent some time on the fan trying to get a good worn look so I had to find a way to get a glamour shot. The intake isn't completely seemeless but it's close, you have to look to see it on the one side. I tried a method using cement to melt the plastic at the joint. With more practice I think i will work like the tutorial for me. 

IMG_1321-L.jpg

The white really glossed up. I used RCW gloss paints and they make a great foundation to add clear too.

IMG_1299-X2.jpg

Here's how the panel lines look in a close-up. 

IMG_1300-X2.jpg

Last, here is the tail with flame on! The afterburner exhaust effect I think turned out good on the finished model. I may add some fine cotton ball threads in there for some smoke effect once I clean up the stand.

IMG_1357-X2.jpg