1/32 Revell F-4E - What could possibly go wrong!

RichieB

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year everyone! Wishing you all a very constructive 2018.

Well I've managed to use some of the Xmas break to continue the somewhat painstaking art of stenciling. Pictures of the underside of F-4s are somewhat difficult to find so some of the placing is a little subjective and some of the decals you won't even see when the weapons are on but I figured that if you buy them you might as well use them!

38589790935_b9448ae9b7_c.jpg

As you can see there's no shortage of useful information for the ground crew though how they can read any of it under the jet beats me.

27691254019_abb05f5e23_c.jpg

The nose gear door is not glued as its where I access the batteries for the lighting.

27691253629_1f1b6bfeee_c.jpg

Next step is to finish off some of the weapon decaling and then on to my favourite bit, a bit of weathering!

Actually my favourite bit is unmasking everything at the end but that's a little way off yet so weathering it is.

Haha!

The guys from maintenance crew were clearly NOT expected to bring ANY prior knowledge to their work with these birds. The whole User-Manual was just printed on the machine!

I bet you read all this stuff, while applying the decals, Richie, and now you could immediately start to work on Phantoms.

--

Full respect for your endurance, here's hoping you won't go blind... :coolio:

Joerg

Just think of the poor guys and gals who had to paint these on for a living!

Many thanks for the feedback chaps, I think it took twice as long as it should have done as I ended up reading most of the markings to see what they referred to.

It might be a little while before I tackle a similar task.

Speaking as a former ground crew, most, if not all stenciling  on aircraft are for the benefit of the Aircrew. If the aircraft had to be "turned round" by them (only likely if they landed at a different, non type operating airbase). The information given on the stenciling would tell them the pressure/type of lubricant etc, needed to replenish the aircraft. Failing that they would ring the home base and ask the engineers advice on what size spanner/screwdriver was required and then ask the ground crew to bring said tools and while they are there "could you please turn the aircraft round as you will be far quicker and we can get back to base".

Why have a dog and bark yourself  :hmmm:

Great work btw.

Oh common'... We can't have the "God's" showing up in the crew-room, buying the spark-chasers & grease-monkey's a beer with dirty hand's or do we...

Hmmm, something funny about that remark. Don't know if it's the combination of the "God's" with dirty hand's or the combination of the "God's" buying the techies a beer... :hmmm:

Kind Regards,

Rudy.

Anyone know why the USAF decided to remove most of the stencils other than the sheer number of man hours required to put them on in the first place?

Quick question:

For weathering purposes I'm looking to use a Panel Line Wash and try out the oil dot technique with Mig Ammo Oilbrushers. Which of these should I do first?

I believe they are both enamel type products so I guess they may interfere without sealing coats.

I'm going to test it out on the drop tanks which look like this currently:

38765421445_6b5ea9c9ce_z.jpg

25790360148_50de3c0398_z.jpg

Any steers before I kick off would be greatly appreciated!