Cessna O-2A `Jade 07' The man meets the model.

ericg

Shows how much I know about Vietnam, I didn't expect to see a Canberra in that film

Richard

I believe that the call sign ‘Magpie' in the comments section of the log book entries refers to Canberras Richard.

Eric

I believe that the call sign ‘Magpie' in the comments section of the log book entries refers to Canberras Richard.

Eric

It would be a poor day in which I didn't learn something, clearly today is a very good day indeed

Thanks Eric

Richard

Shows how much I know about Vietnam, I didn't expect to see a Canberra in that film

Richard

It was a USAF B-57. It was one of the very few acft we had purchased from non-US manufacturers. Great loiter, good load and good accuracy. Yeager commanded a wing out of Clark.

If it had a Magpie callsign then it would have been a 2 SQN RAAF Canberra. They lost 2 Canberras in Vietnam. One crew was killed and the other crew ejected and were picked up by friendliess shortly afterwards. Plus the RAAF FAC pilots, flying in USAF units, did a lot of work with the RAAF Canberras.

As the video is associated with RAAF pilots then it also makes sense that it included a RAAF Canberra.

Edited by Whitey

Amazing how good British aviation design was after the war and how badly it shriveled away at the end of last century. The Americans and the soviets learnt a lot from pulling apart nenes and tays and rebranding them. The Avon was really the engine that all turbojets aspired to be in the 50s and 60s. The Brits had hawkers, de Havilland, English Electric, Blackburn, Vickers, Avro etc all making top notch stuff and all the Cambridge boys giving away microfilms of it all to Moscow...and now there's ....Airbus

Edited by hamfists nz

It was a USAF B-57. It was one of the very few acft we had purchased from non-US manufacturers. Great loiter, good load and good accuracy. Yeager commanded a wing out of Clark.

Are you sure, The RAAF flew Canberra's in Vietnam too. Magpie was their call sign.

I can think of a few other frames the Americans have ‘adopted'20hu145.jpg20kfaja.jpg

You got me there! We flew the Cariboo and a few others too. I knew the Aussies had hueys in Vietnam but I did not know about b-57s! Did the Kiwis participate the the SEA wargames too?

Great review, thanks, and it's always useful to have the added interest of the subject.

Talking of which, and hopefully not too far o/t: looking at the range of RAF types he flew, was he at Empire Test Pilots' School?

Edited by MikeC