HpH Models SB2C-4 Helldiver Build Thread 7/4 Details

LSP_Paul

Did you ever build a kit as a kid, perhaps multiple times? For me, it was the old Monogram 1/48th Helldiver with all the working gizmos.  Like many, I dreamed one day somebody would come to the rescue and produce a "museum quality" 1/32 Helldiver that I didn't need to buy more stuff to make it what it should have been.

Well folks, Today is the day!

One VERY nicely packed box arrived from HpH this morning and suffice it to say I am absolutely in awe of what they have created for me to build.

post-3619-0-80331600-1467073198_thumb.jpg

I will spend the next day or two ( or more) carefully cleaning up the thin casting wafers and flash, and then it's into the "bath" to remove any oils present. I am hoping by Friday I'll be able to show you this thing with some primer on the parts, maybe even a little color!

I am very impressed with the level of detail on ALL the parts from the metal to the resin. All of this kit is executed with such precision, and the instructions on the DVD are very clear ( at least to me so far) on where things go.  I'm lucky and I have a copy of the - 4's pilot handbook I found online, and what I can identify in the cockpit and Radio Operator/Gunner positions is exactly what I see on the photos of the real deal. 

I would like to ask one favor. If you have reference material you would like to post for me to assist in the build, that you do so at my request and not just randomly on my post. Please ASK me in PM first.  :) Believe me I love help, I'd just like to keep this thread informative, fun to watch and on track without folks having to read through 3 pages of discussion and pics of whose colors are right or wrong or what shape has an issue etc.

I may post a few more pics here after the formal review is posted in a little while.

Hopefully this will be the incredible journey that I have hoped for when dreaming about a 1/32 Helldiver. Based on my initial impressions, this kit will do it for me!

I look forward to you following along. :yahoo:

post-3619-0-65355500-1467075096_thumb.jpg

Paul

Ok skeeter, one question, is there a radar pod like your pic, in the kit?? You know I'll be here watching.....Harv

Harv,

That pod (APS-4) was only carried on the -3"E" the -4"E" and -5 versions of the Helldiver. The kit comes with the standard Yagi radar antenna's and they are very nicely represented on the PE Sheet. It would be really easy to convert this kit to a 4E both internally and externally. 

Paul  

Here is a great link from one of my favorite websites for researching. This article covers very nicely "The things under the wings"

I am half decided on building this as an overall Sea Blue late war- 4E and I have what I need to do the conversion work. 

I just want to let you guys who build WWII US Navy stuff and haven't visited Tailspin Topics yet, next time you have a minute bookmark it. They have a great community there like we have here too!

Paul

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/11/things-under-wings-anaps-4.html

Jan, I still haven't figured out how you build at the high quality level and speed you build.  You could have one in each Camo Version finished and in your display cabinet while I'm gluing mine together. :rofl:  

I am very happy to have you along for the fun!  The kit is awe inspiring on so many levels. Make sure to read the review when it's posted soon too!

Paul 

My secret lies in the regularity Paul :)

I am very excited about this hobby and when I'm not on a business trip so I try to build at least one hour every evening (same approach as when you are doing sports)

And all non toxic works I'm doing in living room so my wife can not complain that I do not spend time with her :) :) thats the true reason :)

Yeah, I'm waiting for Kevin's review  :frantic: