Spitfire MKI/II

Oh boy, oh boy! I gets to make another Spitfire...Happy Dance! Contrary to my usual methods, I actually HAVE reference material this time.(I think it's even the correct mark? :rolleyes: ) No "scratch-building/wing-from-hell/changed nose to tail/how the heck did I wake up here?" Spitfire this time by cracky. Found this on sale(marked down twice) at the local hobby store for $15...whoohoo! Oddly enough, it's a Hasegawa kit....and even though it's an early mark has ALL the parts for every variation of this kit!!

2-canopies,4-props,3-different wing-tips,4-spinners,ect. How very strange. :P The only xtra I'll be adding is a resin pilot figure methinks.(course, that DOUBLES the cost...bwhahahah.) It's going to be nice to just slam-dunk something right outta the box for once. Ahhh, I already feel cooler...lighter....fresher. This will be my 2nd attempt at a Spitfire.

So it begins.....

post-4413-1214804284.jpg

What can I say, just can't stay away from this group-build?! I'm baaaaack. :ph34r:

Ah Russ, getting ambitious now! Two Spitties in a row, eh? At least they'll look radically different when they're done, and will make a nice duo side by side. I happened to picked up the Matchbox F22/24 kit over the weekend at a swap meet, so inspired was I by your last Spit.

Kev

• 1 month later...

Ooookay, where wuz I before I rudely interupted myself? Gotta clear some cobwebs and sweep up the dust around here, cuz I've been away for awhile. Hitting the ground running like a wild eyed bachelor at a 'Sadie Hawkins' day gettin hitched bash, cause I think there's what...2 weeks left on this group-build? Oh yeah.

Trying another Spitfire cause I really enjoyed the last one I built. Looking at my feet, and shuffling guiltily cause I said it was going to be OOB. Well, that lasted about as long as it took me to glue the first 2 pieces together! ;) Put the 2 pilot 1/2's together, and thought the guys face looked like the Witch in the 'Wizard of OZ'.

post-4413-1218938593.jpg

Sooo...as they used to say in 'Merry Olde England' back in the 'good ole days',...OFF with his head....OFF with his head!!!

post-4413-1218938678.jpg

"Oooh no Mr. Bill,...it's Mr. Sluggo with his razor saw!!!" Bwhahahahah!

Still had 2 xtra heads from Master Details pilot in the MK.XIV, and I liked this guy. Much more sinister, and 'Borg'like. Reminds me of that old Black Sabbath song, 'Iron Man'..." I aaaam Ironnn Mannn" in that cool metallic voice. Yeah, this guy'll do.

Beautifully sculpted head, if you look close, you can even see the steely cold eyes of a fighter pilot. Whooo. ;)

post-4413-1218939327.jpg

post-4413-1218939344.jpg

Actually, he kinda looks more Aussie to me...such a suave,dashing, handsome devil!!! (sorry Kev, i couldn't resist!) :P Hah!!

post-4413-1218939402.jpg

Let the fun and games begin!!! More pics as they develop. Russ

Hey Russ,

you crazy man!

So you are building a spitfire OOB... I think you can not stay too long away from Russville: too much attraction there!

I bet you will not be able do this spit OOB :lol: just wait and see!

I will of course follow this one closely :lol:

Cheers,

Loic

In the excitement over your finished 110 Russ, I seem to have missed the last update on this one. Yeah, that pilot definitely looks like me. :ph34r: Don't get too carried away in Russville though mate - you've got less than 2 weeks!

Kev

Heeeyy Loic!! Glad to see you back from vacation dude. Missed having ya around! I'll have to admit,...I've had a Sabre and Centaurus engine up against the fuselage giving it the 'ole will it fit' squint. Calculated out engine weights and wing area....but that'll have to wait until I afix something to the engineless spare Mk.22/24 kit I've got. Nope, slapped myself on the hand too many times already on this build, (baaad toad, baaad toad) cause I plan on 'conforming' for a little while. Until Aug. 31. B)

Got the cockpit area done as much as it will be. Only had juice in the batteries for 3 pics...so here's the latest. Fuselage will be zipped up tonight. There isn't much else to this kit, so it won't be long until I start painting. Wing on this version is already scribed!!! :o whoohoo, So all I have to do is scribe the fuse. Haven't decided on markings yet, I'm still digitally painting up what I want for my obligatory 'getting my tail-feathers shot off attacking a large formation of HE-111's' intermission pics 1/2 way thru the build. Pilot has a (by now, traditional for me) red scarf as he is Australian. Gotta find some markings to go with pilot. Where I'm at so far;

post-4413-1219144221.jpg

post-4413-1219144241.jpg

post-4413-1219144260.jpg

I've decided to name the pilot, Percival Perrywinkle Peabody III. Sounds very Australian to me, but hmmm, dunno? :o

Gotta go now, cause...K-K-Kevin is c-c-coming to k-k-kill me! :P :ph34r: Later!

Great job on Percy there Russ! He's come up really nicely. Man, you work at the speed of light! The name's way too British though. A good Aussie name would be something like Wayne 'Bluey' Johnson, or Terry 'Knackers' McCracken, or Andy 'Davo' Williamson, or ...

:ph34r:

Kev

Ahhhh yes, Kevin. Don't know what my thimble of a brain was churning out! Watched a 'Crocodile' Dundee flick for insight into Aussie culture....and 'Donk' is much more appropriate. Thanks for the input.

Now, if I could only figure out how to put some crocodile teeth in a band around his flying helmet......(baaad toad, OOB, no mods; slap...slap!) :blink:

Hah!!, I thnk that was a quote from 'Rocky & Bullwinkle', Dave. :lol: One of Boris and Natashas evil friends I think? Whoa, that's going too far back, and it's scaring me. Whaha.

I actually made an effort to scribe the fuse last night,....and didn't even hurt myself this time! Heeey, getting better at this scribing stuff. If only I can get them shallower/smaller than the Grand Canyon or the San Andreas Fault, I might get somewhere with this. Hmmm. :) Started painting the undersides tonight, and did one leeeeetle,itty bitty,minute attempt at ONE detail. Put those little tie-down lugs on the landing gear. Whoooooo. Top-sides will be painted by Friday evening, and I'm ready for decals on Saurday. Should have this yo-yo done by the middle of next week,...if I don't fumble it.

Here's where I was last night;

post-4413-1219409322.jpg

Little bit closer; What a scribe-job,...eh?! :lol:

post-4413-1219409354.jpg

"THE 'Donk'", in his element. What a fine specimen of a fighter pilot.

post-4413-1219409457.jpg

According to my calculations, and ciphering, and figuring; I believe I'm 1/2 way thru. That means it's intermission time! :lol:

Was playing around with some more 610Sq. markings like the Mk.XIV, but this time....Battle of Britain! Still not sure if this is what I'll go with, but it was fun to play with. Took them up to play with a formation of HE-111's making a run on London. Didn't catch on fire this particular time :lol: , but I did get my prop snarled in some parachuting enemy aircrew as I was making a 'run' on a cloud of them bailing out. That's what I get for being an un-chivalrous ba$tard! :)

Here's some of the action; Head-on attacks work great against HE-111's.

post-4413-1219410282.jpg