1/32 Boeing F4b4 - almost naked

Hi everybody!

I had often visited this forum and always admired wonderful constructions that were presented there. And now I have decided to share my own project with you. I come from Poland, but I decided to build one of the American biplanes from the interwar period. Why did I choose a plane without an interesting history? No offend intended. In my opinion it has a great potential for a very interesting model-making project. I started to build it two years ago and I am still working on it. In several posts I would like to describe all my efforts to this moment.

I think you all know what does Boeing F4b4 from Hasegawa mean. It is almost a toy.

I like to open my models and do something that was not done before. Or maybe I simply didn't see anything done like that.

So in this project I decided to open some areas of the fuselage but after discussing it with my friend Andrzej Ziober I didn't need much persuading to do something more – almost full opened model with only small areas covered with skin. The thick sprues of the fuselage provoked me to cut off all the frame from both halves. So I marked lines of the frame and started cutting it out.

i16sesja109.jpg

f4b010.jpg

f4b016.jpg

f4b007.jpg

DSCF1171.jpg

DSCF1162.jpg

DSCF1165.jpg

DSCF1213.jpg

DSCF1211.jpg

After a month of cutting the terrible accident happened. During polishing inside one of the halves the frame was broken.

DSCF1221.jpg

But nobody said that the work would be nice and easy. In fact the accident appeared to be the blessing for my work. The main difficulty for me was an insufficient documentation - especially good drawings. The only support for this project were the pictures of original planes. I do not want to bore you to death so I think that would be enough for the first time.

Tomasz

Edited by tomaszhajzler

Welcome aboard Tomasz!

:post1:

Nice to have you here. If you can, post your images so that they appear inline, rather than as links. I'll convert some of the ones you've posted so you can see the difference.

Nice project by the way!

Kev

This is my next planned build, and you have a very interesting way of approaching it ! I love it ! Looking forward to more OH, and by the way, WELCOME !............Harv :popcorn:

<p>This is exciting, as the F4B-4 is one of my favorite airplanes. I have some detail references besides the walk around photos posted on this site, including interior photos if you would like them. PM me and I will send you what I have.   .... took a look at your Photobucket files and realize you already have some superb shots. Good luck!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Never mind about the help on the cockpit, your photobucket in progress shots are some of the most amazing scratchbuilding I've ever seen. Congratulations on a wonderful accomplishment and I hope we can continue to see even more of it as you progress with the build.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Tnarg</p>

Edited by Tnarg

I've got a question about life raft stowage, just behind the cockpit, espacially it's cover. Is this in one piece, or consist of two pieces, opened on both sides, on hinges. My be someone could help me in this subject?

I 've just discovered wonderfull walkaround my boeing on this forum, but i doubt if this plane is original. I found differences with original photos in some areas. So, do you know something about this aircraft?

A few words about situation after the accident. I decided to start once more. I could cut off all frames and longerones better and faster. I didn't have f4b4 set, so i took P12. I had to make longer fuselage and change the ridge.

I bought new f4b in the meantime. I need more than one set for such project, god bless it's not expensive. Some photos.

DSCF1758.jpg

DSCF1755.jpg

DSCF1754.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

Hasegawa kit was only pretekst to build this model. All the rest - scratch. So i made two main frames in the cockpit and cockpit floor.

DSCF1740.jpg

DSCF1735.jpg

DSCF1794.jpg

Regards, Tomasz.

I decided to make the skin on starboard within the cockpit.I glued fasten flats with rivets to construction first.

DSCF1932.jpg

DSCF1934.jpg

DSCF1924.jpg

DSCF1926.jpg

DSCF1917.jpg

i cut off the skin from thin plastic and made rivet lines from inside using riveting tool. I glued it together with thin Tamiya cement.

DSCF2050.jpg

DSCF2052.jpg

DSCF2058.jpg

DSCF2053.jpg

See you next time.

Tomasz