HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Thanks Cees and Kev!

Version 2.0 does look much better. The rivets look more in scale, too. As Cees says, your perseverance is admirable!

I just know it'll be worth it in the end, when a truly unique model of an early Forteess sits proudly on the display table!

Tom

Cheers Tom. I'm very glad I went back for a re-design. In all honesty the rivets even now are probably a tad too heavy, but the accompanying oil canning effect sits well with me and my reference photos. I'll still do the fuselage and wings true to form with the universal head rivets, but I might restrain the effect a little for a (hopefully) more scale appearance. Just got to hurry up and get the inside sorted so I can start :)

Cheers,

Craig

Craig,

"Third time is a charm". In this case you did it in two!

The first one looked pretty darn good, but compared with the slimmed down look of #2, it now looks like a "clunker". NICE RECOVERY (as usual)!

The overlap panel lines looks more to scale; did you go with a thinner skinning?

The "oil can" effect really adds some extra dimension.

Terry

Silly question sir,

how do you apply your rivets and what tools do you use?  Are you applying the rivets as a dimple on the surface or are you pressing them from the back before you apply the sheet?  

THEY LOOK AMAZING!!!

Dan

Craig,

"Third time is a charm". In this case you did it in two!

The first one looked pretty darn good, but compared with the slimmed down look of #2, it now looks like a "clunker". NICE RECOVERY (as usual)!

The overlap panel lines looks more to scale; did you go with a thinner skinning?

The "oil can" effect really adds some extra dimension.

Terry

Thanks Terry! Interestingly enough, I decided to do two things. Firstly I annealed each piece, not just the ones with tight curves, which contributed to the oil canning effect. Secondly, I didn't actually overlap the panels, just gave the illusion that I did with the corresponding rivet detail. It seemed to come out okay, but I still have to work out how to do the overlap for the fuselage panels.

Silly question sir,

how do you apply your rivets and what tools do you use? Are you applying the rivets as a dimple on the surface or are you pressing them from the back before you apply the sheet?

THEY LOOK AMAZING!!!

Dan

Thanks Dan. On the fin, I embossed all the lines using a rivet wheel. I then annealed each piece and went over each one on a piece of styrene with a beading tool. The tail is flush riveted, so it was all done on the top surface. The rest of the fuselage is "domed" rivets, so have to be done from the back, which are considerably more difficult. Just today I was educated on a much better approach, and hopefully I'll be able to demonstrate that soon, but the next update won't be for a little while yet. Stay tuned though!

Cheers, craig

• 1 month later...

Finally! After nearly two months a little progress to show :)

Following on from my last post, I was struggling to get the shape of the tailplane looking right. After promising results with the fin and rudder, I did the same with the horizontal stabs and elevators. I was worried that being printed parts, they may be too heavy and have a tendency to droop even with my acrylic spar. Turns out, my fear were completely unfounded....

5r3RxzJ.jpg

Everything fitted together quite nicely, and I was even able to include holes for some brass pins to allow them a solid attachment to the fuselage...

I61k15C.jpg

They fitted like a glove into the holes I'd made almost two years ago on the rear fuselage, so I must have been doing something right!

WfwrIrh.jpg

So with my two laser cut spars, everything was assembled and checked for alignment. Success! The spar also run perfectly down the rear of the stab....

ohBJDaX.jpg

w4rP19e.jpg

Really starting to look the part now!

JD84SMT.jpg

Ahbw4qE.jpg

I also started on the highly time-consuming task of building the structure on the left hand side of the rear fuselage. This time, I used contact cement instead of araldite and the results are MUCH cleaner...... I wish I had done that on the right, but I'm definitely not doing this again. Live and learn for the next build! :)

mvXut1G.jpg

fISR1L2.jpg

What was a challenge on this side, is making sure the main bulkheads line up and there's no ugly gaps that will stand out. As you can see on the left of this pic, there's a "slot" made up from two rolled channel sections...... ask me how much fun that was to line up! ;)

78uKEVZ.jpg?1

The task for today is to open up this window. It's all about going slowly and carefully so I don't take too much off... Don't want to have to do this again!

uiaiUlj.jpg

Anyway that's it for now. The next few weeks will be bringing the left side up to the level of the the right, sorting the last part of the fuselage and looking at the tailwheel. So much to do but it's getting there :)

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by brahman104

Craig, Wow! A center section holding up this entirely new fuselage/ empennage rebuild. Sort of reminds me of a chainsaw approach to taking a Porsche 911 and making an epic Porsche 356 out of it. Love the Porsche. Love the workhorse B-17's.

Looking awesome. I certainly admire your tenacity and courage in this epic journey. Thanks for sharing this with us mortals!

Carry on!

Troy