Looking for Aircraft Profile Tutorials

ChrisS

Thanks for the plaudits chaps, completely undeserved though.

D, the version of Photoshop is plain vanilla 6.0. I've never been able to get use to the cxurve tool in any systems so any curve is made up of lots of tiny straight lines. It takes longer but I don't panic about it like I do with the curved line tool.

That is great stuff. Thanks Vernon!

Your original tutorial I had already consumed and gotten "past" as a student, so this new stuff is great. I'm going to cut and past that into a little manual that I can print out.

I think you have the start of a cool tutorial on this...might want to think about that. I know I would pay for it if you made me :P

I'll post a progress pic here for comments and suggectsions later tonight.

Cheers~

Xara X is a very good vector program for drawing profiles ( along with a lot of other neat stuff), here is one of the earlier drawings I did with it. On some of the drawings I’m doing now I’m starting to get into putting rivets on, with the blend tool it makes it very easy and painless. Here is there a link, I believe they have a trial version available. I have their original version along with a newer version they just released and to be honest I really didn’t see much of a difference, I would be willing to let my original version go for a cheap price.

http://www.xara.com/

Vernon, great tutorial! Would it be possible to put something like this together and we can put it on the site for future safekeeping.

post-8-1127862303.jpg

OK, Quick points in sequence...

LSP Mark: You make them, it's easier.

LSP Brad: I'm working on it now, it will just replace the old one.

LSP Chris: Super job, the only thing I'd say is feather the edges on the Shading more apart from that it's

a beaut. Also you can use quite dark shading,it looks odd at first but trust yourself.

Ango Mango: You're a graphic designer, I'm a sales manager for DHL, I'll come to you for lessons.

Just another few pointers though.

1. It's a drawing, art in other words, it is more important that it "looks" right than it being 100% manufacturer certified accurate.

2. Have fun.

post-8-1127880949.jpg

man Verno, you are kicking some serious goals there mate! Maybe you shoulda' been a designer?

The base profile really needs to be spot on, doesn't it? Otherwise we end up with something that doesn't look quite right. Also, one has to be patient, and the more time one spends, the better the end result. Subtle tonal variations really make all the difference, quite clearly. ;)

here's one that appeared on the "what's new" page a while back....

post-8-1127882298.jpg

Just don't worry about how many layers you have, I had 65 at one point during the Sabre. The really good things is that the principals are the same no matter which aircraft you do whether ancient or modern...

Vernon,

Very good topic (and very educational - thanks for the tutorial...it will come in handy for me in the future...you shall all eventually see why). I like your rendition of an RAF Mk.128 Hawk - it will probably be very close to the actual thing.

Cheers

Derek