Revell 1/32 F/RF-4 Phantom

ReccePhreak

Thanks for the link.

Those covers look strange to me. I don't remember having that style of cover for our RF-4Cs, for the 13 years I worked on them.

Cheers,

Larry

The "sunk-in" portion looks too deep for the "current" Phantom intake covers, even deeper than the Quickboost ones. And both versions are not the same as the ones we used in Thailand. Oh well, I will have to order some of each kind, when finances permit.

Larry

The "sunk-in" portion looks too deep for the "current" Phantom intake covers, even deeper than the Quickboost ones. And both versions are not the same as the ones we used in Thailand. Oh well, I will have to order some of each kind, when finances permit.

Larry

Do you have any photos of the covers you used??

I sure would like to see them.

I used photos and walkarounds (was able to get up close and personal on a couple)

Some had tie downs on the rim, some didn't. I added them to mine, it is easy to sand off if yours didn't use them.

I used photos and walkarounds (was able to get up close and personal on a couple)

Some had tie downs on the rim, some didn't. I added them to mine, it is easy to sand off if yours didn't use them.

Harold,

I will have to search through my slides (10,000+) to see what I have. I hope I have close ups showing the intake covers. As you can imagine, intake covers was not the normal thing one would think to photograph, when you are taking pictures of military aircraft. :lol:

Larry

Harold,

It is likely that the ones ReccecPhreak is remembering were a Vacformed piece that was shaped like the face on the intake. There was a depression molded to the shape on the intake lip from the upper point of the moving portion of the ramp to the lower. This wrapped over the intake lip. There was a lip if you will that fit vertically between the forward and aft moving ramp that acted as a "hook" on the inner edge. There was then the attachment for the "bungee" cord on the outer edge about mid point.

There were "red" and a very basic molding nothing fancy about them. They were basically flat except for the molded depression that fit over the intake lip. I can’t remember if there was an L or R molded on them or if they were even handed. It’s just been too long……

I’ll see if I can dig up a photo of them.

Barry

Harold,

It is likely that the ones ReccecPhreak is remembering were a Vacformed piece that was shaped like the face on the intake. There was a depression molded to the shape on the intake lip from the upper point of the moving portion of the ramp to the lower. This wrapped over the intake lip. There was a lip if you will that fit vertically between the forward and aft moving ramp that acted as a "hook" on the inner edge. There was then the attachment for the "bungee" cord on the outer edge about mid point.

There were "red" and a very basic molding nothing fancy about them. They were basically flat except for the molded depression that fit over the intake lip. I can’t remember if there was an L or R molded on them or if they were even handed. It’s just been too long……

I’ll see if I can dig up a photo of them.

Barry

Thanks guys...I think I have seen a rather poor photo of the flat cover. I didn't know how common they were.

The Revell version I did is closer to the 1/1 I have personal close ups of. I did the Tamiya version from shots on the web. So, I think the Revell set is a bit more accurate.....

• 2 weeks later...

I did a hunt for the flat FOD protection covers in my reference stash. I found a book called "USAF F-4 and F-105 Mig killers". It has a bunch of photos showing the covers.

They weren't as contoured to the shape of the intakes. They were a bit larger, probably to fit either side. (?)

FOD.jpg

You've got it Harold. :goodjob:

Those are the type we had at Ubon.

Like I said; if memory serves they would fit either side.

The straight edge against the moveable ramp was a tab of sorts.

It fit between the forward and aft movable ramps to lock the inner edge in place.

Was a great "sleeping" place; just had to make sure the crew chief knew you were in there! ;)

Barry

You've got it Harold. :goodjob:

Those are the type we had at Ubon.

Like I said; if memory serves they would fit either side.

The straight edge against the moveable ramp was a tab of sorts.

It fit between the forward and aft movable ramps to lock the inner edge in place.

Was a great "sleeping" place; just had to make sure the crew chief knew you were in there! ;)

Barry

Yeah, I thought it would fit either side.

Give a few days and I will knock out some for the Tam and the Rev kits.

Oh oh, maybe a week or so, me wife has other plans for me.

When I was in the Navy, you know, the other life...I worked on diesels and gas turbines. After awhile I was able to sleep between two GT's going 30K RPM.

I did a hunt for the flat FOD protection covers in my reference stash. I found a book called "USAF F-4 and F-105 Mig killers". It has a bunch of photos showing the covers.

They weren't as contoured to the shape of the intakes. They were a bit larger, probably to fit either side. (?)

FOD.jpg

Did you guys see that I've made a corrected tail fin for the Revell RF-4C kit? go to http://partsrparts.homestead.com/start.html and follow the F-4 parts link

Bruce

p.s. those style covers don't look like they'd be too hard to vacform or make

Edited by Bruce

Did you guys see that I've made a corrected tail fin for the Revell RF-4C kit? go to http://partsrparts.homestead.come/start.html and follow the F-4 parts link

Bruce

p.s. those style covers don't look like they'd be too hard to vacform or make

I'll check it out.

I found some really good photos, they are a bit more complicated than they appear.