WNW ROLAND D. VIa: THE MOJO SAVER

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 4/30/17: WNW ROLAND D.V1a THE MOJO SAVER

LEARNING AS I'M GOING

I'm still knee deep in my ZM He219 Uhu, which is moving along at a blistering snails pace and unfortunately finding myself floundering a bit more then usual. I decided to take some much needed advice from the “gang'†that a diversion was called for, allowing for the batteries to recharge, the juice to start filling the tank again and allowing the mojo a chance to rekindle itself. I didn't want to get involved in anything major, rather a kit that was entertaining and enjoyable: the WNW Roland seemed to be what the doctor ordered.

My track record with WNW kits has been dismal at best and deplorable comes much closer. I started two a number of years back, was Gung Ho, lost interest and slowly but surely, the two kits first found themselves on the shelf of doom and then: "Hasta la vista, baby".

I started tinkering around with the Roland a day here and there and it seemed to definitely reverse my diversion to working at the bench. Thusly, the Roland became a wonderful project, which I hadn't planned on doing a build thread at all, as the work would be scattered between work session with the Owl or when ever the doctor would order. Not knowing beans about the aircraft of the Great War, never having rigged a biplane and a total newbie at this era, I would go at the build strictly OOB, rigging the sole AM contribution and everything else a would be a wonderful learning experience. I've moving tortoise slow, following the instructions as my only source of information and guide; for a change – all went mostly well. As I worked my way through each stage of construction up to my present stage of construction, I discovered WNW kits have the same fit tolerances as Tamiya's: precise and snug: paint left on mating surfaces will be a haunt down the road. I've already made my share of mistakes, learning new skills and techniques and becoming a lot more fastidious with other techniques as well; decaling being top of the list. I finally figured out how to woodgrain plastic and not to think oils dry in an hour or so. I was a bit put off by the Lozenge decals, which after applying and far from perfect,  look the part when applied to the primed plastic. There are some errors along the way to this point but I'll be ready the next time. Foolishly I decided not to photograph my progress, so I'm picking up the build from here.

The WNW interior is well done straight out of the box and I was very impressed with the IP and the office. It took a while and a few tries to understand the sequence of construction and learn how parts fit together but I'm getting there.

Learning to apply the Lozenge Decals was easier then I thought in some places and harder in others, especially on the edges. Decal first, then add the hinges and bellcranks – lesson learned.

Air brush work so far has been MIG Ammo Gray Primers, Model Air and Tamiya Paints. Glosses have been all MRP lacquers and the semi gloss a mix of semi matt/matt. I stayed with a semi matt finish which is my normal preference rather then full dead flat as well as the instructions calling for semi matt flat black.

From here, I still have a lot of work to do on the fuselage itself: gauges, machine guns , inspection covers, the gear and control cables. The lower wing is also ready to be glued on and then it's off to the much more difficult work: the struts, upper wing and rigging. I'll be ready to tackle the upper wing and struts.

Somewhere in this scheme, I'll be back to the Owl, slugging it out in the the trenches.

Thank you for looking in.

Peter

_PCW3792_zpsoz2olrzu.jpg

_PCW3787_zpszw0an7oi.jpg

_PCW3789_zpsjzcgecrv.jpg

_PCW3790_zpsj4t48irv.jpg

_PCW3791_zpsga1rjlsl.jpg

_PCW3794_zpsu3sqwk00.jpg

Woohoo brother!

Finally you took the wnw dive again!

Im also working on a roland dvi but b version. You did great job on the lozenge decals and the interior looks top notch!

Engine also looks superb!

How are you finding it? What are your thoughts?

I'm really happy to see your Roland my friend!

Karim

Edited by karimb

Bro,

Still don't know how you kept the Roland top secret from me till a little while ago. Although I guess the two former builds were reason enough. Come to think of it, all I can recall is the Fokker, so what was the other Hasta La Vista Baby build?   :oops:

I've resisted the urge to try a WNW kit, as like you I've never built a WW1 aircraft, heck, I've never built a Golden Era aircraft yet. I have 0% confidence in how to rig even though I've read a dozen times how to do it in successful builds here. That is if I could get the top wing onto those struts, and the wings aligned properly.

What I've seen so far is how you've applied your best skills of OOB building, meticulous painting, and  perfect decaling  to get to this point. I can see some slight engine weathering as a must need even if it's a museum display aircraft, but that's not a new theme from me.

To say that I'm more then impressed, is putting it mildly, but then again, I expect more from you then most here. So far your build has exceeded my expectations by a long shot :yahoo:

But now comes the dreaded struts and top wing, followed by all the rigging. I've read numerous times that you start to rig the fuselage and wings prior to gluing on the top wing as space becomes a huge concern to get into.

I'll be expecting your usual daily emails with pics long before your next post. BTW, are you planning on buying a bi-plane modeling stand from UMM?

Joel 

Edited by Joel_W

Peter,

What a cool diversion! Once I start a project I can't look at anything else (or chew gum and walk at the same time), but I admire your ability to go in another direction to buy time and reflect on how to attack and finish your prior projects. The detail on this Roland is really well done. Great job.

Cheers,

Chuck

:wow: Peter, this is again stunning work from your hand my friend.

The Roland D.VIa was my very first WNW kit i dare to build. This is like all WNW kits a stunning model from which you will get lot's of pleasure mate. I'm very curious about the rest of this splendid build. :thumbsup:

Greetz

Danny

Looks great Peter,  I can fully understand the want for a break on the Owl.  I still haven't had the desire to resurrect the Mossie.  I bought a 1/8 Fokker Dr1 from another member, just waiting on that to arrive and that will be my next project.

Ron

Hi Peter,

Your Roland is looking great!  The lozenge decals came out fantastically and your usual excellence at details shows.  Gonna enjoy watching you do this one.  Glad to see it's boosting your mojo.

Rock on!

Gaz 

Awesome Peter! I'm really pleased you decided to post pics of the Roland build as It's coming along beautifully. Just make sure you plan out your rigging sequence well in advance. Do you know what you're going to use as rigging material?

Cheers,

Wolf

Bro,

You never mentioned needing a rigging sequence in advance of actually doing it.  :help: 

Joel