Foiling a Starfighter: TGIFD

Gazzas

With my group build over at another site coming to a close, I have some time to devote to a build thread.  The victim is Italerei's f-104A/C Starfighter in 1/32 scale.  This is my first LSP since 1980.

I won't be hitting you with many photos of naked plastic.  More of this will be devoted to finishes like painting...which I was never very good at.  When I was a kid, I would sketch a lot, and I did pretty well.  But when painting, it was more like Salvador Dali gets tazed.  If you feel like making any recommendations, please feel free.

Here we go:

132209.jpg

Here, I've hidden most of the IP.  With no IP decal, I was left to my own devices.

132226.jpg

Did I mention I was building this wheels-up on a base?  The only AM I'm using is the Master Details pilot.  After a little drilling and filing I was able top position one of his four heads thrust back against the headrest.

132241.jpg

Edited by Gazzas

I hate it when I hit the 'post' button by mistake!

Sidewinder anyone?

This was my first attempt at the glass-nosed heat-seeking head of the AIM-9b.  I saw a guy do it in 1/48 scale, and since I had some of that UV-activated plastic, I thought I'd give it a go.

132427.jpg

Unfortunately a couple of air-bubbles show up under magnified shots.

132437.jpg

I tried to do a light wash between fins and rocket body.  It showed up too much at first, so I lightened up the effect with white paint and airbrush.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Guest Peterpools

Hi Gary

Nice start on the 104 - the Sidewinders look really nice.

Looking forward to following your in flight build

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thank you, guys! I feel a bit lost in this scale... So much area to cover! I've been placing all of the panels on and considering how much sanding, filing, and detail replacement I'll have to do.

Tom,

Thank you!  From the straps, to the gloves, to the G-pants with cumberbund, I used about 8 different shades of green acrylic.  I didn't want any two pieces of fabric or strapping to look the same.  Then I blended everything with a black oil wash and finished up with a dull coat and dry brushing with enamels.  All experimental as I try to improve on my mediocre skills.

Gaz

• 5 months later...

HI everyone,

Resurrecting this one after it sat ignored for a while.  I hate SOD kits.  They're like wasted money.  Like going to the Fair and coming home with unused ride tickets in your pocket.

I started with the intakes.  They needed to be foiled before assembly.

110254.jpg

063943.jpg

The louvres are very deep requiring special treatment.

055246.jpg

072652.jpg

072731.jpg

072559.jpg

072628.jpg

072535.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz