RB Productions - Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka Type 22 - **FIN!**

Out2gtcha

Brian,

Great start. Can you explain what glues and how you apply them, as I've never really built anything other then injected molded plastic kits.  I'm wondering how using epoxy glue for strengh works without creating fit issues as you add one sub assembly to the next one.

Joel

Kent, Joel, thanks for the kind words. 

Generally I use Zap-a-gap "medium" CA, on my resin kits, except where strength really is needed, then usually JB weld, or in some cases 5-15 min epoxy.  I find Zap-a-gap a SUPER high quality CA, and it does not tend to get really brittle, which is an advantage in resin. I also find it makes a great resin filler sometimes also mixed with micro-balloons depending on how bid the gap is. 

Onto some progress then!  Not a whole lot to show, but did get some paint down.........

Back in a min

Brian,

Thanks for the information on Zap A Gap Med CA glue. I've found that at least for me the extra thin CCA glue just is more of a pain then it's worth, so I switched to med and gel and have gotten better results. I've just tried Gorilla CCA glues, both their regular and Gel, and I'm quite impressed. the regular is actually more like a medium viscosity that fits my needs perfectly. and so far not a single issue with tip clogging or tip build up on the outside. I've also used Loctite CCA glues and love their applicator squeeze sides, but they don't have a medium CCA glue as yet. 

Joel

On to it then.............

I sprayed on some Mr Surfacer 1500 black 50/50 with some Mr Color thinner and shot it on all the PE, interior and intake & exhaust parts. 

20170806_165844-XL.jpg

The RB Productions PE is really nice, and made for a very thin and realistic looking IJN seat:

20170806_165904-XL.jpg

I also painted the jet throttle advance, (im pretty sure thats what it is) which was actually made purely out of wood:

20170806_165925-XL.jpg

20170806_165918-XL.jpg

Also laid down many, many thin coats on all of the interior, as the CP side walls were the only place I found to be sub par looking, as it appears to be possibly 3D modeled. I just built up the layers till I had a satisfactory look I could build color onto:

20170806_170034-XL.jpg

After all the primer was laid down, I dug out the Alclad "Airframe Aluminum" which is a shiner product, but as the base was going to be flat black and not gloss, and the fact that I wanted a brighter, cleaner look to this one-and-done vehicle, that Im sure rarely ever collected much wear or weathering.

Also, in this case going for purely OOB, I wanted a brighter more visually impacting look when you look into the intakes. It turned out great, and I think will look great inside the intakes:

20170806_210050-XL.jpg

Ill keep the fans and the intake in airframe aluminum for visual impact, and the other parts currently in airframe aluminum will get a light over-coating of Alclad "Jet Exhaust" later:

20170806_210024-XL.jpg

20170806_210033-XL.jpg

I actually got some IJN green down last night ( I HATE pure acrylics!!!!) but ran out of time for any pics. Again, laying down a bunch of very light coats to achieve a nice look. 

More pics later.

Cheers! 

Brian, 

Your reasoning for both the base coat and choosing Alcad 2 Airframe Aluminum makes quite a lot of sense. So much so, that I've added it to my Alcad notes sheet, as at my age I tend to forget way too many things.

Joel

Daniel, Joel thanks for stopping in on me!   Although I have not been keeping up with posting on this one as much as I should, I AM actually working on it, and have quite a bit of progress on the pit and thurmo/turbo jet engine.........

I will post some pics here in just a bit, as I actually am at a stopping point. I currently do not have the required and recommended exterior color (Mr Color #35 IJN Grey) but have a bottle coming from HobbyWorld-USA, and need it to paint part of the interior of the jet intakes.

Pics in a bit! 

Daniel, Joel thanks for stopping in on me!   Although I have not been keeping up with posting on this one as much as I should, I AM actually working on it, and have quite a bit of progress on the pit and thurmo/turbo jet engine.........

I will post some pics here in just a bit, as I actually am at a stopping point. I currently do not have the required and recommended exterior color (Mr Color #35 IJN Grey) but have a bottle coming from HobbyWorld-USA, and need it to paint part of the interior of the jet intakes.

Pics in a bit! 

Brian,

It's good to know that you're still making progress, and will be posting an update soon.

Joel

Ok, well boys and girls I just got notification from HobbyWorld-USA that my shipment of paint that included paint for my (at some point) upcoming OV-10A build, as well as some Mr Color IJN grey for this little beauty.

However, that still means that from the date shipped of today or yesterday (have a USPS tracking #) I still have a few days of stoppage on this project, as I need to get the main body color here before I continue................

Heres the issue:

There is a section of the main fuselage halves that extends right into/up against where the intake/natural metal starts (or at least on mine its NM since I wanted it bright and easily seen through the intake openings).

This area will be 200% easier to paint before I close up the fuselage VS after. If I put the fuselage together as is, it will take some intricate masking on my part to make sure that none of the NM gets IJN grey on it, as well as trying to keep from pulling any of the paint up. I seem to have gotten good adhesion here, but Im not going to tempt fate, and Ill stop where Im at until I get the IJN grey.

Here is the area Im talking about. Its currently primed in black Mr Surfacer 1500, unlike the intake jet area its pressed up against, so you can easily see the area I need to paint IJN grey. It actually fits quite well.  For this example the interior of the scoop is not here to cover (which it will) the unsightly areas of the intake. The area will be SOOO much easier to paint without the fuselage together. In this case it probably wont take any masking, where it will take some tricky tape to get it right with it closed up. The black primered area will be IJN grey to match the exterior:

20170813_171008-XL.jpg

20170813_170957-XL.jpg

20170813_170951-XL.jpg

I got both the thermo-jet and piston engine exhausts done as well. Capturing the actual look of the thermo-jet exhaust proved elusive at best. Its a base of Extreme metal airframe aluminum, over-coated with Alclad "hot blue" in places, then a thin over-coating of that with Alclad "jet exhaust". The interior is same except it has a layer of Tamiya smoke over it, and then some MM flat clear lacquer. 

This looks waaaaay better in person, as I could never seem to capture the cool iridescent blue and burnt quality of the paint. Oh well:

20170813_170311-XL.jpg

20170813_170329_001-XL.jpg

20170813_170344-XL.jpg

20170813_170338-XL.jpg

\

20170813_170400-XL.jpg

20170813_170421-XL.jpg

While those set up, I also assembled the different smaller section of the service dolly, so I could shoot them with primer, just so I could see any flaws I needed to correct as well as filling some of the minor grooving that appears on some of the resin:

20170813_170136-XL.jpg

MORE........................

You can see here the frame of the service dolly/cradle. Its very well molded but has some striations on some sections that needed priming and will need sanding at a later point. Nothing too drastic, but there are still some spots that will need some filler:

20170813_170158-XL.jpg

I finished up the thermo-jet as well. In the end, I believe you will still be able to see a bit of it, even after the nozzle and intakes are glued on:

20170813_170441-XL.jpg

20170813_170444-XL.jpg

20170813_170500-XL.jpg

Finally, I did finish up the VERY simplified cockpit. There are just a few basic controls in the Ohka and some like the control stick handle and  throttle advance were wood. Just a very simple finish here, not a whole lot of weathering on a "one-and-done" airframe.  
I forgot how much the macro brings out the imperfections....................blech...............at least it looks much better in person.
Simple IP. Not perfect, but it too looks much better to the naked eye than what the macro brings out, but it will do for OOB:

20170813_170611-XL.jpg

20170813_170717-XL.jpg

Starboard cockpit side (will pluck the hairs too):

20170813_170736-XL.jpg

20170813_170749-XL.jpg

Port cockpit sidewall:

20170813_170815-XL.jpg

20170813_170823-XL.jpg

I will also probably work on the seat as well, as it is finished, but need to assemble the seat-belt, so I can drop the seat and belt in assembled after the fuselage is together. 

All for now ladies, as Im at a point where I will probably work on the dolly with some sanding and filling, but ill need to brake on things until I get the IJN Grey likely on Wednesday or Thursday. 

Cheers!

Brian,

The Thermo-Jet really looks good. And the cockpit even though it's as basic as one can get, yet you've done an excellent job replicating it. 

Joel

Thanks Joel!!   There really isnt much to it at all, and my goal here was to create a fairly clean OOB build. This will continue on the outside too. I just need the dern exterior color!!  :lol:

Guest Smitty44

Awesome work Brian! Your choice for you rnext build certainly fits in well with that "keep the mojo" conversation we had. Myself, after a few props had to get back to a jet!!! Patiently waiting for your paint to arrive. Smitty

Edited by Smitty44