HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Nice update and some interesting techniques that are useful to know.

:goodjob:

Thanks very much Don. I don't know if you've checked out any of Paul Budzik's youtube videos but they're extremely well put together and very informative. I remember being in awe of his models as a 10 year old. A lot of his techniques are solid old school modelling, but it goes to show you that whatever works in our game is worth doing. 

Wonderful, utterly.

Cheers mate! Getting there slowly :)

Wow! This is a lot to catch up with here Craig (me being new and all). Excellent work and BOLD. You have many great ideas going on.  I was ALSO impressed to see you are also working on your athletic dreams. I try to balance by geeky bench time with training for  bike races and triathlons and think they compliment each other. Pushing it/ Suffering in the toil  and exploring your boundaries.... and after all the hard work.....pride.  

Hi Jim, thanks very much for your kind words. I think that both you and I are certainly pushing the boundaries of our skills with our respective builds and learning a hell of a lot at the same time! Couldn't agree more with the lifestyle balance, I have a requirement to maintain a high level of fitness for my job, and I know it sounds corny, but you do learn about yourself by doing these things. And you ensure you get your dose of vitamin D :) Respect to you Sir!

Registered just to follow this thread.  Incredible work and good luck on your ultra-marathon.  I've got a friend pestering me to do one too, but not sure my soul is ready for that kind of beating yet.

G'day mate, I'm very glad and humbled to hear that you've registered to follow along with my adventure into the unknown! I hope you'll start a build of your own on here some day because, as you can see, there's so many talented people here to learn and bounce ideas off. I certainly wouldn't have attempted something like this had I not been inspired by others on this forum. Welcome!!!

Hahaha, yeah I hear you about the ultra. Sometimes you do question why you're putting yourself through it. This is my second; after the first one 7 years ago I thought I was done with running, but yet here I am again :) Very different training philosophy, race style and location this time, so it'll be interesting to see how things pan out. I don't give up on things easily once I've started, which is probably a good thing with this build! :)

Cheers,

Craig

Craig,

I try not to repeat acculades that I or others have giving you before, but it's hard to come up with something that has not been said before --- numerous times!

You said that you don't feel that you are a talented modeler, but to the contrary, your work speaks for itself!

You put a lot of work into whatever you are doing, yet you make it look so simple. I have to admire how you keep coming up with different homemade "tools" and methods to then make different parts.

As far as soundproofing padding color, I think the color you went with in the cockpit and radio comartment was a good choice. That color, along with the bronze green and wood color compliment each other nicely. None of your detail in each separate compartment is going to be lost in a sea of monotone "interior green" ---- not to mention it all being authentic!

A suggestion for future builds where you may need "quilted" soundproofing. Some disposable baby diapers have a textured plastic liner that looks pretty convincing. Well at least they did back in 1979, when I was changing my son's diapers!

Always a pleasure to watch your progress.

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip on the quilted pattern Terry, I may just try it one day!

Doesn't time fly, with Easter nearly upon us and all. I'm not religious in any way, I just like chocolate :)

Anyway I've been making a little progress on the interior of the rear fuselage. Having roughed out a basic concept to represent the stringers and ribs in the roof of the bomb bay, it was time to develop and refine the technique in a much more visible location.

I must say that this method is definitely NOT time efficient. If I were to put it in context, this process is to my build, what JayW's labour of "love" has been to his work on the big radial for his T-bolt, although his is done with considerably more skill! :)

So on with the photos.....

IMG_4285_zpsaka0xd7s.jpg

One of the many questions I had when I began to ponder the rear fuselage was "where do I start?"

There are 4 main longerons around which everything else seems to be located. This was fine, except that in all my references I had no reliable way to work out their dimensions and location. In the end I used a bit of fine rigging wire and taped it roughly where I figured it should go.

IMG_4370_zpsdhd4qiiv.jpg

I bent up the longerons, in the form of a C section and decided that these would be 1x2x1mm, to stand out from the rest of the structure. So far so good.

IMG_4284_zpso9lhhlju.jpg

I then divided up the rear of bulkhead #6 and used this as a rough locator for the rest of the stringers. I made the process a little easier for myself this time and just made them 1x0.5mm, instead of the double fold which caused me so much grief in the bomb bay.  :innocent:

IMG_4358_zps4nor1nb9.jpg

I then added the ribs. The spacing derived from marking out where each stringer for each particular rib intersected. Time consuming work! 

It also occurred to me that as I would be repeating this process perhaps a couple of hundred times, I should invent some kind of tool to help me make all the holes even, so I ground the shape in needed into some duck-billed tweezers. These allowed my to support the fragile ribs while I ground the holes in them without distortion. And they worked quite well!

IMG_4359_zpsv7x3eor5.jpg

As you can see, I used a felt marker to "paint" the tip black so I could see what I was doing, and not enlarge the template inadvertently!

IMG_4371_zpsrgvgm5wp.jpg

What you see here is many, many hours worth of work, and then many many more of cleaning up excess glue residue (although I haven't got it all yet). 

I did manage to get reasonably good at doing this by the end of what you see here, but there's always room for improvement. If I was Peter, I probably would have redone it five times to get it perfect, but I think I can live with what I have here  :coolio:. Next challenge will be to create the one-off templates for tricky things like the entry door and side blisters and then gradually build up all the structure and bulkheads as I go. 

Should be interesting!

Cheers, Craig

Craig,

You have they patience of a saint! A lot of work, but beautiful work! Well worth the effort you're putting into it.

On your "baby", styrene and silver paint simply just wouldn't cut it.

Trust me, any small "imperfections" you are aware of will not detract from your finished interior in the least!

"Should be interesting" ----- now that my friend is an understatement!

Ever find out about O2 tanks mounted opposite the main entry hatch?

Terry

Thank you gentlemen! I'm glad you're all enjoying the show. I've just spent the best part of the last two days working on the second section, and I think I'm getting the hang of things here :)

First of all though, I wanted to attack the door. Due to its shape, it presented more than a little challenge. I managed to rough out a "plug" in basswood, which not only would allow me to determine the shape, but hopefully provide the entire circumference with constant contact when it came to gluing the strip in. Here's what I ended up with........

IMG_4373_zpsjti4hxkb.jpg

All seemed to work out okay....

IMG_4374_zpsptcr8asr.jpg

IMG_4376_zpspm3skm3f.jpg

IMG_4377_zpsq6wbxu5p.jpg

Seeing as I was on a roll, I had a crack at the frame of the waist window. I drew the shape onto masking tape....

IMG_4381_zpsexetpeeu.jpg

IMG_4389_zpsnbs6thh8.jpg

IMG_4391_zpsh1kj6yqj.jpg

A fair amount of fiddling later and this :)

IMG_4398_zpsdcwfrlqc.jpg

IMG_4399_zpsgbxkurxi.jpg

IMG_4401_zpscf2tokc8.jpg

Still massively labour intensive, but as Terry said, paint just wouldn't do!

So I've been wondering about how I could add a really thin wash around my "rivet" heads to make them look like there's been a build up of grime.... this is for the outside and much later on, but it doesn't hurt to keep these thoughts in the back of your head :)

Till next time,

Craig