Revell Spad XIII 1/28

CANicoll

The venerable Revell kit, my second Revell WWI kit, and I'm finding they are a lot of fun to build.

Here is the build thread if you are interested: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=66777&hl=

These are being built for some exhibitions for the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI.  The Revell kits are ancient, but the decals were recently printed, in 2013 in this case I think.  Decals are fairly thin, but react much better to Microscale Microset, rather than  Microsol (ask me how I know...  :crying: ).

Paints are mostly custom mixes of Model Master Acryl (light green is a mix of Interior Green and Gloss White) and Vallejo Model Air for the Gloss White and Red (Dk Brown is actually Burnt Umber) and the Dark Green is Tamiya Park Green and Gloss Black mix.  Vallejo Light Gray for the bottom. Wood is represented by Vallejo Wood with the prop having Burt Umber streaks.  

Rigging is EZ Line which has its pluses (the stretching keeps me from breaking everything 10 different times) but it is a multi-part polymer so if you don't cut it just right, you can actually leave either the core, or the wrapper.  (Trust me, I know.   :innocent: )

DSC_0004_zpsruao4zbc.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsenkb5yqv.jpg

DSC_0009_zpsuiscxtcc.jpg

A unique feature of the SPAD XIII is the keyed prop which doesn't fit very well.  Took a drill to make the prop opening fit the shaft.  Oh well.  Not the worst thing that has happened.

DSC_0008_zpsde0zkmsr.jpg

Oh yeah, the elevator struts on the rear are actually wooden flat toothpicks since somehow I lost one of the plastic struts.  Oops!!

DSC_0006_zpsd1qg05zb.jpg

I love how the gauges actually appear in the cockpit, the decals were pretty good, and I did drill out the exhausts as well.  They are finished in Model Master Aircraft interior black to which I then oversprayed a mix of Vallejo Black and Metallic Black.  

Then followed that up by adding a bit of Vallejo Rust sprayed from a bit of a distance to provide a powdery texture to the exhaust.  As I kept spraying lightly, the brown rust color started coming out so I worked it from front to back to vary the color.  Lightly dusted a bit of black/grey chalk mix on the fuselage for exhaust stains.

DSC_0001_zpsfie8za94.jpg

I had to find a way to fix ripping an edge off of a roundel so masked off a rectangle and painted a darker 'patch'.  Best I could come with.   :whistle:   (Top left in the next picture).

Elevators are dropped by simply bending them down (Ha!!) and looking at them now, I may go back and either get a silver wash on the hinges or paint them silver/black.

DSC_0002_zpsu6t2sb2x.jpg

I'm starting a Roden Fokker DR I in the olive/red variation of the Red Baron's aircraft so look for that next!

Chris