Airco DH.6A aka "Skyhook"

Tomek

This is a paper model of de Havilland's trainer for the Royal FIying Corps. It was quite unusual aircraft. It was the first airplane developed specifically for training purposes and that can be seen through out the construction. It was also aircraft very different from other de Havilland's designs of this period. His trademarks (like for example de Havilland's tail) were sacrificed to create an easily maintained, cheap and safe machine.

The kit was published by Orlik (1/33 scale) and was enhanced by me with few scratchbuilt details. Those interested can find the build thread here.

I'm really happy that I managed to complete my second LSP build thread. Yay!!!

Thank you all for your comments, kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate it, although frankly I think you guys are spoiling me … It is really pretty modest model.

This DH.6A build wouldn't be the same without this forum. I used during the construction a lot of new techniques I've learned from you. Seeing some of the works here expanded my horizons and I look at models differently now. Thank you for that!

I experimented with the photo background a bit. Please let me know what do you think about it. The deep shadows which it creates may not go well with the presentation of the model. On the other hand I showed all the details in the build thread already. As always I struggled with getting the colors right ... sorry...

IMG_0259-1.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

More in a minute ...

Edited by Tomek

OMG...

When I looked in at your build, I was floored by the craftsmanship first of all. The weathering is some of the most realistic I have seen, and now I realize it is a paper model! My hat is off to you, you really did an amazing job on this model.

BRAVO!!! :thumbsup:

Really great stuff Tomek! No one could tell me that its obviously paper.............it looks as good (and in some cases MUCH much better) than similar WWI builds ive seen in any other medium.

Weathering is really spot on. Great build and reall great result.

Brian

Just amazing!

Another Classic my friend.

The combination of card, scratchbuilding and great technique has paid off.

Real nice result.

:thumbsup: :clap2: :clap2:

Edited by PhilB

Fantastic ! Love the realistic mucking up of that bird and that complex rigging. Congrats on a super build.

EDIT: Hold on - this is a paper model?? Wow... that's all i can say... wow

Edited by Thomas Lund

Thanks for your warm reception of my model. I'm really happy that I was able to "trick" some of you (I hope you are not trying to be just kind :fight: ). That's a proof for me that paper/card can be an equal medium to plastic. It just requires more effort to elevate it to your standards ;) . I'm bit scared were it all leads...

radial, funny how my attitude toward paper model genre has change during this build. Yup, I care less now what material I'm using as long as the majority of work is done in card. It may not pass as a paper model to some orthodox modelers, but I think it was really worthy to reach for diffrerent materials. You will see me doing it more often now.

• 2 weeks later...