M24 Chaffee (WAK)

Tomek

Thanks guys!

I have been wondering about you recently. It must have been the brain waves connecting over space and time that has brought you back.

Aha! Now, I know why I felt so guilty by neglecting the hobby ;)

Thanks Mark.

A little update.

First, the air outlet. It was a bit tricky to align all the flimsy grill parts. It's not perfect, but must do. The bottom part of the star had to be painted, but the task was so much easier with a template provided with the kit.

IMG_3130_zpscf65bc53.jpg

Air inlet and outlet are ready, except few minor details (hinges, nuts, etc.)

IMG_3204_zpsb8a8ce09.jpg

The hull finally got its mud guards. Sorry for poor quality picture. I will try better next time.

IMG_3213_zps7712b658.jpg

Edited by Tomek

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Tomek

Great to see you back at the bench and working on your armor project. Looking forward to hopefully steadily progress updates.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks guys!
I just learned that this project can be entered into a theme contest in my modeling club. That should give me extra motivation. Not much time left though...

Is this what they call a paper Panzer :innocent:

Good one, but I have actually intention to finish it  :fight:

Cheers!

Super work, Tomek.  Especially on that grill.  Boy-o-boy, that spacing brings back scratch-built grill memories.

Thanks Mark. Spacing is tricky, isn't it? Here, paper pieces were quite flimsy, and even though I used spacers the result came out not too great. 

Great to see you back at the bench and working on your armor project. Looking forward to hopefully steadily progress updates.

Keep 'em coming

Hey Peter, I hope I will keep modeling too. I almost forgot how fun it could be! 

Another little update.

It's time for driver's and his assistant doors and various ventilators caps and such. To ease forming round edges of these elements I de-laminated them (removed some of the layers of paper). Thinner parts where much easier to work with, with less danger to get any wrinkles. The smaller half spheres were formed using a round tool and an eraser.

The kit has some shortcomings in regard of some of these elements. The shape of the ventilators in the rear, near the mud guards should be more round, or the look of the drivers' periscopes is overly simplified. I did not improve any of these.

0a1627ab-87c1-4a59-939c-4c1078569927_zps

9968fe80-3292-4e4a-8863-c26e38cb0bb8_zps

1c0d12a1-ce07-445c-8c17-f85c81d18ab4_zps

IMG_3432_zps9af2f5fd.jpg

I tried to experiment further with imitating welding seams behind the front plate. I mixed thick white glue and paint and tried to "build" appropriate thickness of this solution by applying several layers. There were a lot of problems with this method. It's hard to match well the color, because it dries darker (and it's shiny), also it's hard to model round wrinkles imitating welding beads. I used round end of paint brush, waited until the mix of glue and paint was almost dry and try to impress beads. The window for this is quite short. I will try rolling modeling putty and painting it instead. As it is now, it doesn't look to good, but I believe after final weathering and filters color differences will be minimized.

d6353392-4784-4d0f-ae7b-4ddb0c77e3dd_zps

Thanks for looking!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you guys. You are way too nice ... It could be done better. I not overly worried about all the details, and as you can see there are places that need to be retouched with paint, or simply smoothed out. There will be time for that later. As I'm handling the model, tempera paint rubs off from the edges no matter how careful I am.

Anyway, very small update today: rear lights, towing pintle, and two couples of mounting for towing shackles.

d9f64f61-db64-49da-ab8f-c3da897d1802_zps

Next, the turret.

Thanks for looking in!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Harvey and Mark!

With my son's school year started I have limited time for modeling. Still, I'm trying to find few moments here and there. Hope this way even slowly I will move forward with this project.

This will be also a rather small update. The turret cardboard structure is ready. Little bit worried about skinning it, especially front of it. Tricky shape there to pull out from paper... Will try my best.

Photo source PrimePortal:

2c57cd7d-1ca4-4cfd-9a6f-0ad706d99ac6_zps

0d9add72-b6a5-40f5-8412-cf74ed58010c_zps

24aeaee1-1ff4-4f11-a3cb-6efaa2c985a4_zps

Skinning the turret taught me some humility.

The front piece has quite difficult shape. In addition it supposed to sit perfectly between 4 other skin parts. That's a lot of things that could go wrong, and they had. I'm the only one to blame  :doh:

IMG_3866a-vert_zpsc492e2df.jpg

I got two large gaps on both sides of the front of turret, terrible fit on the bottom, seams in some places overlapping instead of creating a butt joint, wrinkles... I even manage to tear some of the print on the top while removing tape. At some point I was ready to buy another kit and start the turret over. Before giving up completely I decided to try to fix things using rather ugly method of filling gaps, sanding and painting. Wonder where I got that idea from ...  :innocent:

Larger gaps where filled with strips of paper, smaller with CA. Result looked pretty scary:

IMG_3872-vert_zps36dc64df.jpg

Mixing paint to match print color is always a challenge for me and this time was no different. My only hope is that with final weathering, the differences will be minimal. I tried with various results mimic welding seams that were quite prominent. This time I went with Vallejo plastic putty, that has nice applicator. Maybe with some practice I can create better effect. Anyway I think I can live with the outcome, even if I'm not particularly proud of it ;)

IMG_3886_zps2bb146d6.jpg

IMG_3880_zps020e0c30.jpg

On to detailing it now!

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Tomek

• 2 weeks later...