1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat - "Rage 207"

DoogsATX

It's super tempting to just fly through this kit. The engineering is that nice. But I'm forcing myself to go slow and enjoy it (and hopefully have fewer slipups as I detail out the cockpit!). 

Last night's focus was the remaining black areas of the cockpit, the installation of a throttle stolen from an Aires set, and a start on detailing out the various switches and buttons. 

Tamiya%20F-14A%20-%20Cockpit%2010-29-16-

Tamiya%20F-14A%20-%20Cockpit%2010-29-16-

Looking good Matt. I'm still down on the console mouldings but you've made them work better than any of the builds I've seen. Good stuff.

Jim

They could definitely be better - but at the same time I think we've been kinda spoiled by what Tamiya throws together in 1/32. 

I mean...compared to another latest/greatest kit - Kinetic's Hornet - I'd say they're superior:

KineticHornet-34-X3.jpg

True enough Matt ... the Hasegawa tomcat from like 20 years ago is quite a bit better, but then there wasn't anywhere near the level of aftermarket support for super detailers back then - Tamiya has probably quite rightly assumed that pedants like me will go to the aftermarket (and, as you've shown, a great result can be had with the kit plastic). Plus, the fit of the Hasegawa cockpit gave pretty much everyone heart attacks (including me). So, all good. Thanks for posting!

Cheers

Jim

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Nice to you enjoying Tamiya's latest and some mighty nice work on the front office. I would leave the nose gear well as is and as Shaka commended, spend your time on what can be seen when the Tomcat is on display.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

Well, Wednesday night was a bust thanks to work responsibilities intruding on bench time. And last night I intended to get some various parts (intakes, intake ramps, main gear bays) painted white. Well...the kit had other plans.

I've seen several comments floating around about how glorious Tamiya's Tomcat is. How it required no filler at all. I typically roll my eyes at the "no filler" thing - I almost always find myself using filler at least somewhere on an aircraft, even if it may be out of an abundance of caution. 

Well - the F-14's intakes call for filler in the form of ejector pin depressions. 

IMG_20161104_004139-X3.jpg

Can they even be seen though? Yes - this view is can be had with the completed build as well, and you can clearly see where the filler is. As well as the corner fills on the aft trunking pieces. 

IMG_20161104_014246-X3.jpg

Now - Tamiya has thankfully broken the intake up in a few ways that makes tackling these fill needs relatively painless. For example - the install of the aft trunking is still accessible from the top, so getting those three sides blended is no huge deal. 

IMG_20161104_014309-X3.jpg

I'll be taking my time getting these right - lots of intakes tend to just get a clean white treatment - but TPS F-14s seem prone to weathering inside and out. 

f14dkittybg_2.jpg

f14intake.jpg

Edited by DoogsATX

• 2 weeks later...

The past week hasn't been so great for bench productivity...but I'm finally to the point where things are starting to come together.

First took care of the main gear bays. I'm not thrilled with how spartan they are and will be adding some wiring mess to strategic areas that will be highly visible, but wanted to get the basic colors down while everything was still in pieces.

Tamiya%20F-14A%20-%2011-05-16-4-X3.jpg

Intakes down up - masking the angled white in the trunks was rough. 

IMG_20161112_095656-X3.jpg

IMG_20161112_095600-X3.jpg

Next up - forward fuselage closed up last night. Again I really hope aftermarket companies take a hint from the way the kit is engineered and move more toward replacing panels and keeping the basic tub structure in place for the cockpit. 

Tamiya%20F-14A%20-%2011-13-16-2-X3.jpg

The forward fuselage fit into the aft fuselage is so good that I'll be able to mostly paint them separately. 

Tamiya%20F-14A%20-%2011-13-16-3-X3.jpg

A look into the cockpit. Still not particularly thrilled with it. The instruments in the Hasegawa Apache I'm gearing up to start blow what Tamiya's done here out of the water. But it's obscured enough once things go together that I'm not quite as disappointed now. 

Tamiya%20F-14A%20-%2011-13-16-5-X3.jpg

Note - if you're going to close the canopy (as I'm leaning toward...either like my F-14s all buttoned up or all splayed out), the Quickboost seats need a shaving down, particularly the RIO seat. Annoying work with the thing mostly painted up, but I got there, and the canopy/windscreen fit is usual Tamiya goodness. 

IMG_20161116_082210-X3.jpg

The kit has no TCS pod (weak), so I'm stealing one from the Hobby Boss F-14B. There's a Steel Beach resin one out there, but the casting is so soft on detail that I just couldn't bring myself to use it. Apparently there's an Eduard Brassin TCS pod included in their Danger Zone F-14, but it's not purchasable separately. I'd imagine that changes pretty fast now that they've got a juicy Tamiya subject to develop aftermarket for. 

IMG_20161116_082057-X3.jpg

You are doing a fantastic job on that.  Everything looks great.

As far as the Tamiya kit, I have not built it but I have followed a few build threads now.  My honest reaction is that it does not look to be a huge improvement over the Hasegawa kit from the 1980s.  What am I missing?  I don't doubt that the fit is a bit better (the Hasegawa kit wasn't bad) but the detail and overall look is very similar.  

Am I not giving the Tamiya kit enough credit, or giving the Hasegawa kit too much?  I must admit it was many, many years ago that I built it.