Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1D Corsair on Pre-order on Evil bay at $29.99....

Daniel Leduc

Guest The Southern Bandit

Oh stop it Scooby, you are sounding a bit bitter now, you never got this kit deal offer in a one in a life time chance to get a new release Tamiya 1/32 superkit so cheap, if it turns out you are right (but I'm betting you are wrong) then I'm sure you will get apology en mass for your fantastic wisdom and insight?

Otherwise just wait and see what happens and wish the guys well for there adventurous spirit ... at end of day its not a lot of money to lose, even in the eventual impossibility the deal falls sour for them, cant you just wish them well in the spirit of LSP instead of thinking and maybe silently hoping for the worst for them?

Really?

So my brand new 1/32 Tamiya Corsair showed up today...it's a USB cable.  Refund request through ebay.  They have until Oct. 26th. 

Seriously? at least you will get your money back :)

So my brand new 1/32 Tamiya Corsair showed up today...it's a USB cable.  Refund request through ebay.  They have until Oct. 26th. 

If this is true, can just imagine the gloating and told you so from some :)

Nobody's lost a penny though, nothing ventured and nothing gained.

Is it a 1/32 scale USB cable though? Also it takes longer than that for an Ebay dispute to be resolved.

Mine was from seller: xsxs3525

The October 26 date is straight from ebay.  I don't expect to have my money on the 26th, but ebay will step in and "handle" the claim from there on out.  In the end I get a free cable.  The scamming situation on ebay really needs to be taken care of although there is no easy way to do it.  

The cheapest I can find this kit from a legit seller on ebay is $127.90 from Tokyo Hobby.  

Edited by Steve C

WARNING: RANT ON

I hope I'm wrong about this but basic microeconomics tells me I may not be...

For those of us who sell (and buy) on Ebay, this is not a good thing in any way, shape or form.  Like I said in an earlier post, there is no free lunch.  Sure, you guys will get your money back but when you begin seeing increased fees because of all the fraud going on, then what?  Increased sellers fees translate into higher prices... from Ebay and Paypal.  Who ends up paying for it in the end?  You and I do.  What happens to the reputable Ebay sellers when you stop buying their wares because their prices are at or above other online retailers?  If it looks too good to be true, 99 and 44/100 % of the time, it is.  These people aren't going to stop unless you mutate the "stupid" gene that makes you press that "Buy it Now" button.  Especially not when they get away with your (and ultimately Ebay/Paypal's) money.  I'm quite sure the same fraud happens across most of the selling categories on Ebay so it isn't just modelers.  This isn't a win-win for everyone... Ebay/Paypal loses, and it could be big.  I'm willing to bet the time and money necessary to refund your $40 is probably at the very least, five or six times that amount.  Then multiply that amount by how many transactions go bad because of the fraud...we ain't talkin chump change here.

That could be the big picture I'm afraid.  Two, three years down the road if we hear about having to pay increased fees that are unfair and all the hype and hyperbole that goes along with it, I'm gonna zombie up this thread and list everyone whose name appears that knowingly (and there's no REASONABLE way you could not have known it is a scam) bought into it and did so without thinking about what the final cost to the consumer might be.  WTG guys...

rant off.

Hmmm... if it wasn't one or more of us - I took a bite on a couple not so long ago - it would have been someone else, so you shouldn't blame anyone of us for any increase in fees, PayPal/ebay make vast profits, and no doubt factor in cases of fraud, so it doesn't harm them in any way, I think you're being quite naive.

PayPal/ebay make vast profits...

Net profit of eBay in 2016 = $7.26 billion

Net profit of PayPal in 2016 = $1.4 billion

This information is readily available online.

I think you're being quite naive.

Indeed. Every business on the planet factors pilferage into their operating costs - before the fact. In this case, PayPal would simply withdraw those funds from the seller's account since they are still actively selling, and their funds are withheld for several days at least. Who loses? The scammer. 

Also, the simple fact that SOME folks actually received their cheap kits in previous 'too good to be true' deals makes jugnut's entire argument null and void. $35 Tamiya A6M2 kits anyone? Got two of them for that price, and I'm not the only one. 

D

Edited by D Bellis